Having trouble with pitching samples!

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello... I can't find how to pitch a sample such as playing a bass or synth sound I dragged into the sample mapper. I'm only getting a fixed pitch across the keyboard range. Maybe I keep overlooking it in the manual. Help needed! Also, anyone know of any video tutorials that exist for this beast?

In the groups tab under "Engine" choose "Pitchshift" instead of the default "Resample"...

@pekbro: No. Pitchshift is the pitch shift (i.e. change pitch without changing length) engine.

@pc2000: You probably dragged samples that don't have any root info. They where applied as pitch-less (drums etc) samples, i.e. the created group was set to 0 keycents as scale and the regions generated have no roots. If you change the group scale to 100 and set root keys for the samples, you will get pitched playback. You can use the pitch autodetect on the samples themselves also to change the material. If you have the pro version and the samples have roots in the names you can try the token based auto-mapper.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

@elcallio: this was my big initial struggle with TX16WX too, even after reading the whole manual - I see now that it all comes down to the fact that the group gets automatically created with 0 key-scale when you create the first region with a root-less sample.

The confusion comes from the fact that you can subsequently give the sample a root, but the group will remain at 0 key-scale. Because key-scale is automatic, and "root" appears to a new user to control key-scaling (null root forces 0 key-scale, but non-null root doesn't force 100 key-scale), most new users will probably not realize it exists. Without knowing key-scale is controlled on the group level, in practice there's no way for new users to get pitch-tracking when working with normal (rootless) samples.

Here's one way to solve this use case - is there really value in automatically generating the group at 0 key-scale? Rootless samples will already be non-pitch-tracking, so isn't setting 0 key-scale redundant? If the auto-generated group was always 100 key-scale it would match basic user expectation (no root? no pitch-track. add a root? pitch-track based on root).

Rellik wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:03 am Here's one way to solve this use case - is there really value in automatically generating the group at 0 key-scale? Rootless samples will already be non-pitch-tracking, so isn't setting 0 key-scale redundant? If the auto-generated group was always 100 key-scale it would match basic user expectation (no root? no pitch-track. add a root? pitch-track based on root).
Very good point. Expect this in next release.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:56 amIf you change the group scale to 100 and set root keys for the samples, you will get pitched playback. You can use the pitch autodetect on the samples themselves also to change the material. If you have the pro version and the samples have roots in the names you can try the token based auto-mapper.
Thank you. It would be nice if there was a more obvious or easier way to do this.
There is no way I would have ever guessed this. I wouldn't even know what to search for in the manual.
Chris

Hmmm, now I can't get the group scaling to work anymore when I have several bass samples.
This new version is really hard to understand. I wish someone would do I video on how to do this.

It should be as easy to just drag the sample into the keyboard and then drag the single sample region up and down the
keyboard to be able to play pitched instruments.

Would really appreciate a setup by step instruction or even better a video on how to do this for both single instrument samples and for multiple samples with round robin.
Chris

The root thing is kind of kicking my butt. I'm trying to make a test program using a single sample of a keyboard sound, which is loading as without root so it's fixed pitch. Whenever I try to enter a root, in region or sample, and whatever changes I make to the group to enable this, changing the root to a note doesn't take. It stays none. I get that it may import as fixed and one would just have to change it to pitched and give it a root, but for the life of me I can't make this happen. It stays fixed. What am I doing wrong? : )

Thanks.

edit: OK...if a sample imports without root info you can't give it a root from anywhere but the the wave parameters, not regions or groups. (Is this correct?) Then you can create a program with it pitched.

No, that is not correct at all. If you map a non-pitched sample (i.e. root display in region is empty), just edit the root field in the region, either dragging up/down or simply typing something like "C3" to add a per-region root override.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Return to “CWITEC”