About time-stretch

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm always using TX16wx. It helps my composing.
(My PC environment: Windows8, 32bit, cubase 5le)

When I input sample files(.wav) to TX16Wx, then detect a pitch, assign to keys and play it by midi keyboard,
if I play it in other pitch, it's playback speed has been changed.
(if it's pitch is high, it's playback speed is quick.)
Some samplers with time-stretch play it same playback speed.
Can TX16Wx(or TX16Wx professional) have a function of time-stretch?

Thank you for understanding my poor English.

Time-stretch/pitch-shift is not in the current feature set of TX16Wx. Whether it will be, and within what time frame is a good question that I cannot really answer. I get it that some people want this, but TX16Wx was primarily aimed at being a musical sample instrument. A purpose for which TS/PS is less well suited.
On a technical note, the TX is a modulation heavy instrument, with sample accurate evaluation of all modulation, including pitch, loop points etc. Since PS/TS is typically heavily based of FFT buffer calculation, it is difficult to combine it efficiently with (real-time) per-sample modulation.

So, the short answer is I don't know if, and when, if ever, TX16Wx will get TS/PS. I do not consider it a very high prio, but I might be wrong. My biggest concern is that it would require huge changes to the guts of the sampler.

Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

One possible way of (kind of) doing this, while still fitting the design/philosophy of TX16Wx, would be an offline "batch create time stretched instrument" function.

In other words, if the user wants to play a certain sample at different pitches using "non-natural" lengths, TX16Wx would include a timestretch algo (or a couple of 'em) and present a way to automatically stretch and map a sample to the desired key/velo/etc range. From there, it would stretch the sample at different pitches to the desired length (default: original), prompt for a folder where to store these offline created samples, and map them accordingly.

This way the user would get the main benefits of stretching, but it could be fully incorporated into the current architecture, playback-wise. It could even be so nifty that, once such a mapping is created, one could change the stretching parameters and the samples would be created and mapped automatically behind the scenes again.

I'm not saying this is something I personally want/need (at least not that badly anyway :) ... ), just thinking out loud here.

elcallio wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:16 am Time-stretch/pitch-shift is not in the current feature set of TX16Wx. Whether it will be, and within what time frame is a good question that I cannot really answer. I get it that some people want this, but TX16Wx was primarily aimed at being a musical sample instrument. A purpose for which TS/PS is less well suited.
On a technical note, the TX is a modulation heavy instrument, with sample accurate evaluation of all modulation, including pitch, loop points etc. Since PS/TS is typically heavily based of FFT buffer calculation, it is difficult to combine it efficiently with (real-time) per-sample modulation.

So, the short answer is I don't know if, and when, if ever, TX16Wx will get TS/PS. I do not consider it a very high prio, but I might be wrong. My biggest concern is that it would require huge changes to the guts of the sampler.

Cheers
/C
Is there already a time stretch possibility in TX3 ?
I have a synth loop and want to change the speed not the pitch?
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

Time stretch and pitch shift is in TX16Wx 3 Pro. You enable it by switching the playback engine for a group. Please refer to the TX3 manual for more info.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Return to “CWITEC”