Nova GE or SlickEQ M for the mix bus

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I tried the demos for both plugins, and both have this auto-eq feature to match to a pink noise or to a curve. As I understand Nova GE can do a static and a dynamic match, and SlickEQ M can do a static match only.

Now I am wondering which one to buy. I would use it for my amateur metal band's mix bus, to have a balanced spectrum. Right now I am leaning towards Nova because of the dynamic feature, I don't have any mixing experience to see if I am losing anything with choosing Nova over SlickEQ M.

Cheers
Laja

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

I have looked into the SlickEQ GE as well because it also has the auto eq and is cheaper compared to the others, but I cannot demo it. Both Nova GE and SlickEQ M have 6 bands, SlickEQ GE has 3 bands (and also there seems to be an extra tilt for the SlickEQ family) - so I assume having more bands would result in a better matching. And there is the question of some of these being parallel :)

But maybe if I need 6 bands for matching on my mix bus, then I already screwed up something, so I understand the idea, I will think about the SlickEQ GE as well.

It depends how good your mix is already. I find Nova more useful for corrective treatment and Slick EQ M has a better workflow for gentle shaping. The expansive mode of Nova GE is useful for decompressing overcooked vocals, but other than that I'd be quite happy with the free Nova + Slick EQ M.

A while back, I went with the Slick EQ M and the free Nova myself. I’ll likely pick up the Nova at some point, but not in any hurry at all. I have the rest as well.

Nova GE is always on my mix buss, often in more than one instance. I would have one instance looking for resonances (dynamically), then a static version set to match pink noise (starting point, I usually tweak from there), and then there might even be a third instance working as a three-band gentle mastering comp. All of this is followed by Limiter 6 GE that I also highly recommend.

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”