HYPERION STRINGS ELEMENTS Keyswitches and Outputs in Kontakt

Official support for: soundiron.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Soundiron Hyperion Strings Elements and have questions about the Key Switches and keyboard range. I hope my explanation is not too rambling and convoluted.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated…I hope I’ve explained the issue clearly.

I’m using an N.I. Kontrol S61 keyboard with Hyperion in Kontakt. There’s no problem getting the Ensemble or the individual instruments to load and play, but I can’t figure out how to access the KeySwitches while still being able to play all of the notes in the ensemble or instrument.

Scenario 1: With the Ensemble loaded and S61 in default Octave settings (ie: not shifted up or down) the lowest note I can play is C1, which is the C note one octave above the lowest Bass note in Ensemble, which is C0, and the highest note playable is C6, the highest note of Violins in Ensemble-C6.
To play lower Bass notes I’d need to go down 1 Octave, losing half the Violins range. This would also still not give access to Keyswitches.

This means I have to set S61 to -2 Octaves in order to access the Keyswitches and play the lowest Bass note, which in turn means the highest playable note is C4, which is in the Viola range on the Ensemble…no Violins in range.

I know we can change the range of instruments in Ensemble and also re-assign the Keyswitches to different notes, but in Ensemble mode, how do I play all the instruments including Violins while also accessing the Keyswitches?

Scenario 2: In order to have only one instance of Kontakt in Pro Tools and get separate outputs for each instrument, I have Kontakt loaded on an Aux channel in Pro Tools, 3 more Aux channels to make a total of 4 individual outputs coming into Pro Tools from Kontakt, with all 4 Instrument Masters loaded to slots within Kontakt ie: Violin Master, Viola Master etc.

I have Midi channels 1,2,3,4 assigned to relevant instruments in Kontakt and can play everything and have individual channels for processing in PT.

What seems to happen is that I can’t see how to get control of the articulations for each ‘Instrument Slot’ in Kontakt…if I change the Keyswitch settings on one instance, such as Violin, it some how affects the other instrument slots.
Also, the Keyboard display at the bottom of Kontakt doesn’t reflect the instrument I’m playing.

AND one last thing…is it possible to have individual outputs to the DAW for each ‘instrument’ when Ensemble is loaded?

I wait the hovering fingers…

I don't think I quite understand your question. Are you asking how to fit the entire range of all four instruments and the keyswitches on your 61 keys?
The keyswitches are already set in their optimal position for access to the entire bass low range, and the other strings are spread from there up through E6. You will need to utilize your octave up/down buttons no matter what.

For scenario two, I'm not sure why that would be occurring. I would recommend using four different instances of Kontakt on four different tracks in your DAW, rather than one instance with separate outputs. Tests have been done and multiple kontakt instances run better than all in one.

"is it possible to have individual outputs to the DAW for each ‘instrument’ when Ensemble is loaded?" -- no it is not.

Thanks KVRer...I have the basics sorted now. Apologies for the late reply.

BTW...can you explain how to use the 'bow direction' change? It says in the manual it works with the sustain pedal engaged, but that didn't seem to work for me. All is does is Sustain the notes being played.

Return to “Soundiron”