Make KVR monthly contests automatic!

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since the voting pages would be generated automatically, the voter's entry could simply not appear in his combo boxes. Not need to kill indeed.
softegg wrote:I think either we should stick with the actal voting system ( 5 or 10 songs, I don´t care ), or have a system were each entrant can distribute a fixed number of points(~20?) over as many songs as he or she likes. We should avoid a system that forces people to rate every song (i.e. to give bad ratings to songs they don´t like).
I never meant negative ratings - I only meant that there could be an option to give points to as many tracks as one wishes. Question is if the point limit should be just 1-10 per song or a certain amount of voting points a user can distribute between tracks. Think I'll start a poll about this.
pHz wrote:... i dont mind manually filling the database with entries each month and doing all the other checks (track length etc) ...
If we get to do the automatic voting, I'll be happy to rid you of the manual db filling. You'll probably have to check the length and bitrate of the entries yourself.
... this is going to need bigbossbens help or work since it needs to have access to certain elements of the KVR member database to work properly ...
Yes, as Glooper has already started to work on the voting system under BigBen's approval. If Ben agrees, I'll join the efforts too. Provided with the info on the KVR site, we can do the voting system ourselves.
... either that or we set up some kind of month-by-month password system aqs already suggested and keep it away from the KVR main site ...
I don't think that's a good idea - unless BigBen disagrees to us doing the voting system and doing it himself.
the the impotence of proofreading

HansM wrote:
farlukar wrote:

Code: Select all

if ( $votee == $voter ) {
   CloseAccount( $voter );
   BanIpAddress( $voter );
}
Just a simple validation would be enough. You don't need to kill them. "Is there life after KVR?"
I thought I was already being nice for not including the SellEmailToSpammers and GifPortraitIntoSillyPicture functions :shrug:
Paulie Phonick wrote:
... either that or we set up some kind of month-by-month password system aqs already suggested and keep it away from the KVR main site ...
I don't think that's a good idea - unless BigBen disagrees to us doing the voting system and doing it himself.
Submitting & voting are (apart from a few edits maybe) a small amount of one time only actions, should hardly affect server performance.
Displaying the submissions is probably the same amount of work as displaying an ordinary page (and definitely less than displaying the "what are you listening to right now" thread :hihi:)

okay.. I don't think i'm going to have much time to work on it still to be honest... I still have lots of things to do... Unfortunetly the work I did previously (where I set up a database and started working on integrating with the bulletin board) was lost due to one of my servers f**king up!.. okay okay.. I should have backed it up. I have the original Correspondance with Big boss Ben though... which contains the details of how to do this. I can mail this onto you paulie...

I would suggest that first someone writes out the exact requirements... Keep it simple and just have rob manually entering in the details for phase 1.. a phase 2 fully automated system could be done at a later date.

We can then all look at it and the work can be split up... someone designing the front end/ someone working on the required functions/ someone designing the database.

but we all need to be clear what exactly is going to be done first

Ben

It'll have to be done from scratch then. I'll get the requirements and a sketch of the system design ready as soon as I find some time (during the weekend at latest). I can design the database too as that what I know most about (compared to html/css and php stuff). Send me the details you got from Ben.

Glooper wrote:we all need to be clear what exactly is going to be done first
genius, I'm gonna go and tell my boss about this approach... :wink:

right ... off the top of my head (feel free to add / amend / erase anything ive not thought through) ...

1 - i manually enter the months entrants into the database (so it needs a web front end ??? ... i aint no coder)

2 - members log into KVR as normal and navigate to the voting page where they see 10 drop-down slots containing that months entries ... they choose their top 10

3 - the system converts those placings to points scores and keeps a running total

4 - the system needs to check ...

[a] that members only vote once (can we lock them out if theyve already voted ??? )
that the votes of any member with less than 20 posts at time of voting are NOT counted (UNLESS that member is also an entrant)
[c] that at the end of voting any entrants not having voted are taken out of the main results

5 - at the end of the process a results table / page is generated automatically

slainte :ud: rob
Last edited by pHz on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pHz wrote: that the votes of any member with less than 20 votes at time of voting are NOT counted (UNLESS that member is also an entrant)
do you mean posts Rob?

yes i do

slainte :oops: rob

corrected

you can delete the last 4 posts then matey...:)

nah ...

slainte :shrug: rob

Think you got it all pHz. I just think that creating a submission page would not be cumbersome task (a simple form + a couple of database queries) compared to the rest of the voting system, so we should make that automatic as well (why have a half-automated solution when we can have a fully automatic one?)

edit: on a second thought I'd add to your points that system should also allow for manual disqualification of entries (for technical DQs) and be capable to handle multiple contests per month (we've already had alternative contests in the past - I think it would be a good idea to make the system ready for that right away since it will be harder to add that later on).

pHz wrote:right ... off the top of my head (feel free to add / amend / erase anything ive not thought through) ...

1 - i manually enter the months entrants into the database (so it needs a web front end ??? ... i aint no coder)

2 - members log into KVR as normal and navigate to the voting page where they see 10 drop-down slots containing that months entries ... they choose their top 10

3 - the system converts those placings to points scores and keeps a running total

4 - the system needs to check ...

[a] that members only vote once (can we lock them out if theyve already voted ??? )
that the votes of any member with less than 20 posts at time of voting are NOT counted (UNLESS that member is also an entrant)
[c] that at the end of voting any entrants not having voted are taken out of the main results

5 - at the end of the process a results table / page is generated automatically

Also that the voter hasn't voted for the same entry twice.

Ben

Paulie Phonick wrote:Think you got it all pHz. I just think that creating a submission page would not be cumbersome task (a simple form + a couple of database queries) compared to the rest of the voting system, so we should make that automatic as well (why have a half-automated solution when we can have a fully automatic one?)
not really.. you also need to allow for descriptions images etc.. (as in a normal post).. and allow for people to add OGG's and/or mp3's.. you need to display them as normal posts too... I would keep it simple and concentrate on just the voting and then in a phase 2 we can look at the entry system...
Paulie Phonick wrote: edit: on a second thought I'd add to your points that system should also allow for manual disqualification of entries (for technical DQs) and be capable to handle multiple contests per month (we've already had alternative contests in the past - I think it would be a good idea to make the system ready for that right away since it will be harder to add that later on).
yeah.. the moderator shouldbe able to create any contest at any time.. and set both the submission end date and the voting end date.

Ben

Glooper wrote:not really.. you also need to allow for descriptions images etc.. (as in a normal post)..
We should reuse the existing forum functionality for the entry comment field then.
and allow for people to add OGG's and/or mp3's..
We can allow for more than one link per entry or have a field for a basic entry URL and the rest in the comment field.
you need to display them as normal posts too...
The comments should be submitted to a thread that would be closed for normal posting. I assume here that a "Closed" thread is just a forum interface feature and adding posts to a thread marked as closed can still be done on the database side.
I would keep it simple and concentrate on just the voting and then in a phase 2 we can look at the entry system...
We can do that, but for the voting system, we'd need the entries in a database anyway so some sort of interface will have to be created for that. Wouldn't it be better to do the entry submission the way it should be right away?

Return to “Site Stuff”