Make KVR monthly contests automatic!

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

finding out who hasn't voted would be quite easy

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM Entrants LEFT JOIN Voters ON Entants.Login=Voters.Login WHERE Voters.Login IS NULL
..I do databases for a living - I don't do php tho'!

HTH
DSP

I'd started to do this a while ago.. but haven't had the time to continue.. I'd designed the database and had started to look into the integration with the KVR database. Ben had sent me the details... I might try and pick up on it again at some point.. the problem is the time... It's gonna take about 1 week of work to set up and I don't really have the time to do that... unless I take the time off work... which I'm not really willing to do.

ben

perhaps we can split the project up? so that several of us can work on different bits? anyone interested?

Ben

I can have a look into it, though cannot promise to finish it by the time of this months voting (I'm pretty swamped at work too at the moment). Anyway, drop me a PM with the details, I'll be happy to help.

phz wrote:if ben can find a way (and the time) to knock something up then im more than happy to admin anything that needs doing (ie - entering entrants details each month) ... its GOT to be easier than doing it manually ...

... the only complex thing i see is matching voters to entrants for potential DQ purposes (the sites normal login would ensure only one vote per member surely ??? ) ... and it would need some sort of easy logging system so i could see who has voted (entrant or not) and a few details including their post count ...
The idea behind this is that there wouldn't be much to be done by hand - entrants would register their tracks themselves (by title, the author would be a KVR user id for later vote checking), the voting pages (with combo boxes) would be auto-generated basing on the entries list and the results would be auto-computed. Using the KVR login we can assure that only members with 20+ posts can vote (once). The only thing I see that would require administration is the setting of submission/voting start and end dates + technical disqualification of entries (unless there is a way to analyze an mp3/ogg in php to detect the length and bitrate).
the the impotence of proofreading

paulie. The entry pages will need to be done as well, But must allow a description of the track too. I thought about checking the MP3... but the KVR server is under too much load as it is.. I don't think Ben would be happy adding this extra load to it.. Of course other things like the automatic downloader and marklefords radio page will also be able to be created automatically as well.

Ben

I think this is a good idea. Why don't you all get started on the logistics and technicalities of an automatic voting system, and maybe the rest of us can get some votes :)
Rakkervoksen

Well, since the "spring in the air" theme as not given me any inspiration so far, perhaps the voting system instead of a track this month is not such a bad idea after all... ;)

Glooper wrote:Of course other things like the automatic downloader and marklefords radio page will also be able to be created automatically as well.
Actually, my page is already generated automatically: my monthly work just consists of placing entries in the flatfile db as they're posted.

Auto-voting system shouldn't be hard. I just haven't even considered it previously as it would require me to authenticate users against KVR's db, which I thought would be a sticking point.

- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

IF the voting is going to be automatic, it might be an idea to enter a score for every song (e.g. 1-10), since collecting and adding that will not be much more work than collecting / adding 5-10 votes... And we could start rating each song as soon as it is posted...

Either way, an additional functional requirement would be that nobody can vote for themselves (except the programmers).

Well, with automatic voting, we could even extend the idea of a vote to make it possible to give 1-10 points to as many songs as you wish. That would take care of HMs I guess.

Perhaps we should do some brainstorming before the coding to find out if any changes to the formula of the contest would be desirable?
HansM wrote:Either way, an additional functional requirement would be that nobody can vote for themselves (except the programmers).
Who? Me? :roll: :hihi:

I think either we should stick with the actal voting system ( 5 or 10 songs, I don´t care ), or have a system were each entrant can distribute a fixed number of points(~20?) over as many songs as he or she likes. We should avoid a system that forces people to rate every song (i.e. to give bad ratings to songs they don´t like).

from my point of view i would like to keep it simple ...

- top 10 tracks to be voted for (or 10 > 1 points assigned to)
- automatic logging of entrants voting and members with less than 20 posts (AT TIME OF VOTING) who arent also entrants
- obviously automatic totalling and ranking once voting is complete (with auto DQ of non-voting entrants)

... i dont mind manually filling the database with entries each month and doing all the other checks (track length etc) ...

... this is going to need bigbossbens help or work since it needs to have access to certain elements of the KVR member database to work properly ...

... either that or we set up some kind of month-by-month password system aqs already suggested and keep it away from the KVR main site ...

slainte :? rob

HansM wrote:Either way, an additional functional requirement would be that nobody can vote for themselves (except the programmers).

if ( $votee == $voter ) {
   CloseAccount( $voter );
   BanIpAddress( $voter );
}

If revision of the contest technical structure does occur, at all possible to maybe create a separate "KVR Contests and other sundries" forum? I find all the stickies to be choking the display of the Cafe.

farlukar wrote:

if ( $votee == $voter ) {
   CloseAccount( $voter );
   BanIpAddress( $voter );
}
Just a simple validation would be enough. You don't need to kill them. "Is there life after KVR?"

Return to “Site Stuff”