Make KVR monthly contests automatic!

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Paulie Phonick
KVRian
1335 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from ocation: cation: ation: tion: ion: on: n: :

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:04 am

KVR monthly contests are getting bigger and counting votes by hand becomes really cumbersome. IMHO, cutting the vote list to 5 entries is not a good idea - so why not automatize the contest instead? No need for anything complicated, just a submission form that would collect the entries automatically to a data base and use it to generate a voting page with ten combo boxes with listed entries for top ten tracks. Than the votes would be collected and results generated automatically. What do you think?

(Sorry, if this has already been discussed in this month's gossip thread, but I didn't have time to read through it.)
the the impotence of proofreading

Katanaman
KVRist
462 posts since 30 Nov, 2003

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:37 am

Paulie Phonick wrote:KVR monthly contests are getting bigger and counting votes by hand becomes really cumbersome. IMHO, cutting the vote list to 5 entries is not a good idea - so why not automatize the contest instead? No need for anything complicated, just a submission form that would collect the entries automatically to a data base and use it to generate a voting page with ten combo boxes with listed entries for top ten tracks. Than the votes would be collected and results generated automatically. What do you think?

(Sorry, if this has already been discussed in this month's gossip thread, but I didn't have time to read through it.)
It hasn't been discussed this month but it HAS been discussed before. I think that's a good idea. I don't know if anyone around here knows how to do that but if anyone does know how to do it I think that would be the best way to solve the problems with the monthly contest.

User avatar
farlukar
KVRAF
6225 posts since 18 Apr, 2004

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:01 am

Paulie Phonick wrote:use it to generate a voting page with ten combo boxes with listed entries for top ten tracks. Than the votes would be collected and results generated automatically. What do you think?
It'll be a lot easier if the votes are generated automagically too, that way the results are known as soon as submission closes!

mystahr
KVRAF
7571 posts since 9 Nov, 2003 from Netherlands

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:09 am

Thing is though, that sometimes a tune has an incubation period.

Ehm; I have no idea what I mean with that in retrospect to the thread; it just sounded good

M'Snah
KVRAF
3347 posts since 8 Nov, 2003 from Amsterdam

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:08 am

Mystahr wrote:Thing is though, that sometimes a tune has an incubation period.
Yes. I couldn't agree more. Even though that doesn't have a clear relation to this thread either...

Paulie Phonick
KVRian
1335 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from ocation: cation: ation: tion: ion: on: n: :

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:00 am

You're right, lets generate the votes - it'll definitely speed things up (especially the tune incubation period - you'd only have to come up with a title). Mind if I wrote the generator? :hihi:
the the impotence of proofreading

Marc JX8P
KVRian
854 posts since 14 Jul, 2003 from Netherlands

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:09 am

This is quite easy to program - if someone can host asp pages I might even program it if you want. However, there's still the issue of security so I'd suggest a form of password protection by which each voter has to id him/herself. Basically I see two scenarios:

ONE:

1. You submit a song;
2. The contest manager mails you voting details, including a voting password;
3. You go to the voting page, id yourself by selecting your name from a list of voters and giving your password;
4. You select the tracks you like.

ALTERNATIVELY:

1. You submit a song - and you mail a password you made up yourself to the contest manager;
2. You go to the voting page, id yourself by selecting your name from a list of voters and giving your password;
3. You select the tracks you like.
"...Everything we see or seem is but a dream, within a dream."
MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/MarcJX8P
Virb: http://www.virb.com/marcjx8p

Glassback
KVRAF
4956 posts since 21 Oct, 2003 from UK

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:22 am

Marc JX8P wrote:This is quite easy to program - if someone can host asp pages I might even program it if you want. However, there's still the issue of security so I'd suggest a form of password protection by which each voter has to id him/herself. Basically I see two scenarios:

ONE:

1. You submit a song;
2. The contest manager mails you voting details, including a voting password;
3. You go to the voting page, id yourself by selecting your name from a list of voters and giving your password;
4. You select the tracks you like.

ALTERNATIVELY:

1. You submit a song - and you mail a password you made up yourself to the contest manager;
2. You go to the voting page, id yourself by selecting your name from a list of voters and giving your password;
3. You select the tracks you like.
Wouldn't that prevent non-submitters from voting?
Or am I reading it wrong?
One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

Marc JX8P
KVRian
854 posts since 14 Jul, 2003 from Netherlands

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:35 am

Glassback wrote:Wouldn't that prevent non-submitters from voting?
Or am I reading it wrong?
Good point, forgot about that. Still, you'd need a way to identify a voter.
"...Everything we see or seem is but a dream, within a dream."
MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/MarcJX8P
Virb: http://www.virb.com/marcjx8p

Glassback
KVRAF
4956 posts since 21 Oct, 2003 from UK

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:46 am

Could be you'd need to set up a whole bunch of secondary accounts.
If people had to log-in to register to vote in any given contest, they could have a unique password (if you're sensible it'd be different to your normal KvR log-on password), then the vote would go through a dynamic process. It also may prevent people from voting more than once?
Unless of course, they had more than one id here. :wink: :roll: :help:

But when Ben's struggling to keep the site running smoothly, is adding yet more code really the answer?


Just playing devils advocate here.
Auto-votes may well be a good idea. But what about the practicalities? :)
One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

M'Snah
KVRAF
3347 posts since 8 Nov, 2003 from Amsterdam

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:46 am

This is going to be very very complex, isn't it?

Glassback
KVRAF
4956 posts since 21 Oct, 2003 from UK

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:48 am

HansM wrote:This is going to be very very complex, isn't it?
Image
:lol:
One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

M'Snah
KVRAF
3347 posts since 8 Nov, 2003 from Amsterdam

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:55 am

:D

Paulie Phonick
KVRian
1335 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from ocation: cation: ation: tion: ion: on: n: :

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:50 am

Well, I did't see this as an external contest website - contest pages should be integrated with the KVR site (after all the monthly contest is an integral part of this site, isn't it?). It's not a hard bit of code to write (I could do it too, did some PHPing a while ago), but if it was to be integrated with the KVR site, I guess it would be up to Ben to either code it or provide someone else with the info necessary to code it.
the the impotence of proofreading

pHz
The Teach
8266 posts since 23 Jul, 2002 from flatness

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:56 am

if ben can find a way (and the time) to knock something up then im more than happy to admin anything that needs doing (ie - entering entrants details each month) ... its GOT to be easier than doing it manually ...

... the only complex thing i see is matching voters to entrants for potential DQ purposes (the sites normal login would ensure only one vote per member surely ??? ) ... and it would need some sort of easy logging system so i could see who has voted (entrant or not) and a few details including their post count ...

slainte :ud: rob

Return to “Site Stuff”