RFC - Review Shakeup

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Honestly, I rarely use the reviews section, not two years ago, & not now either..Things with a seriously negative impact are mentioned here in the forums as well as The Templar Kiss as well, so never really had a use for em much.

I uh..well, I kind of read them sometimes when the threads are choked to kill time once in awhile..ya know, kinda like bathroom reading?

:hihi:

sorry, Ben..
:D

btw i vote for not raising the 500 word minimum.. some people might be honest but simply concise, effective worders..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Hey Benoid,

I really think that keeping a 'Reviews' section is great. At the same time, I believe that having a 'Ratings' section is a bad thing.

It's a known fact that reviews are performed in higher number for happy/proud users. That can't be bad in any way of course. However, that pushes all rating participants to the 9~10 range, somehow gacky. The sort will then mostly depend on how many reviews each plugin has.

It has also been spotted earlier in this thread that having a numeric index helps the newcomers to pick their first instruments of choice.

However, the rating might be at the same time leading newcomers to have the same sound, to share the same experiences, to somehow kill diversity.
Newcomers might get the leaders just to be 'in the edge', to follow the wave, to be part of the winning team. I do not really have an answer if this is good or bad (as I see it has positive aspects), but something makes me think it's overall bad.

I believe we still do need that 'Welcome to K-v-R: FAQ' here. Somebody english-fluent should write it (no, I didn't say Griels), and I'm not talking about the forum rules, but how to guide someone who's just starting and doesn't know how to install a vst plugin, why freeware is cool, why they don't have to buy till they exhausted what they have.

I think that's the best we can do for newcomers, and the best thing we can do to keep the community growing. Otherwise, they might just be bored, or degenerated into certain type of permanent diseases or addictions like compulsory vsti purchase and suchlike.

I'm certainly sure that if a newcomer just registers today and checks the ratings list, he might get Cameleon, impOSCar and Pentagon I the same long night. After two days, he would write about 244 messages to support@xxx ranging from how to install to how to make that polka he/she wrote sound organic.

Even against ours own short-term interests (devs), I believe that is not good.

More pre-purchase research leads to happy users. From our point of view that's the same as having happy customers. And that means more sales instead of less.

-René

xoxos wrote:btw i vote for not raising the 500 word minimum.. some people might be honest but simply concise, effective worders..
It's not words it's characters.

René wrote:I really think that keeping a 'Reviews' section is great. At the same time, I believe that having a 'Ratings' section is a bad thing.
The ratings section will no longer be linked to the reviews, they will be a ever changing monthly affair in much more interesting categories.

Ben | KvR wrote:
xoxos wrote:btw i vote for not raising the 500 word minimum.. some people might be honest but simply concise, effective worders..
It's not words it's characters.
:dog:

:lol:

donkey tugger wrote:2000-10000 words? :-o Do we get a certificate and a gold star? :oops:
Not words sonny.

kuniklo wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:The same can be said of the text reviews too.. The synths we jizzed over a couple years ago are kinda sucky in comparison to the new ones we have today. Besides, if someone wants a quick snapshot, what's wrong with that?
What if it was possible to go back and update or revise a review later? Maybe the revisions could be clearly distinguished from the first review? I used to write music reviews and I always wished I could write a quick first impression review and then a followup review later.
You can already edit your reviews.

stefancrs wrote:I'd say three pro's/cons would be sufficient. One would probably be more selective about what a pro and a con for a product is then.
The idea is that there would be space for a maximum of 5, but we accept a minimum of, say, 2.

Another thing I think I'll add, as it has been suggested many times, is a "what host" the reviewer was using field.

René wrote:I believe we still do need that 'Welcome to K-v-R: FAQ' here. Somebody english-fluent should write it (no, I didn't say Griels), and I'm not talking about the forum rules, but how to guide someone who's just starting and doesn't know how to install a vst plugin, why freeware is cool, why they don't have to buy till they exhausted what they have.
Nice idea. Maybe we could start a collaborative thread to get it going and then I could edit it into an official FAQ...

Ben | KvR wrote:
René wrote:I believe we still do need that 'Welcome to K-v-R: FAQ' here. Somebody english-fluent should write it (no, I didn't say Griels), and I'm not talking about the forum rules, but how to guide someone who's just starting and doesn't know how to install a vst plugin, why freeware is cool, why they don't have to buy till they exhausted what they have.
Nice idea. Maybe we could start a collaborative thread to get it going and then I could edit it into an official FAQ...
Yeah! I think that's a great idea too. Because I still have no idea what the hell is going on here...

yes, by all means keep the reviews.
I go back and read over them before I make a new purchase + I also like to look down the list to discover new proggies I've never heard of!

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I think Rene makes lots of excellent points - and it's changed my opinion on certain issues. The 'Welcome to KVR FAQ' is a great idea too.

Ben

Maybe its my short attention span (I didn't even read all of the posts in this thread), but I like a 0 to 5 star summary like MANY MANY websites use. If I want detail, I'll read the comments. Basically a system like CNET (pros and cons) and Amazon (Stars and Reviews).
evolsidog

Return to “Site Stuff”