Discussion about companies/individuals recommending their own products in unrelated threads

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

as i see posts have been deleted, and the discussion obviously isn't wanted in the respective thread, i'm gonna post it here, if that's OK:
wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:Maybe KVR should add an "Advert" tag to obvious advertising posts.

I think it's a bit borderline. While i get that forums like this can be seen as means to avertise commercial products, it can be a tad annoying as well, when you expect, or want to give honest advice.
The thing is, we've been down this road before with the mods. They've gone on record (I'll find the posts if I have to) as saying if somebody inquires about something it's okay for a vendor to recommend their own product. That people keep complaining about it is pointless. It's within the forum rules so drop it already. It's beyond getting old. Only a few people here even care. And for those, oh well, the powers that be have spoken. It is an acceptable practice.

It's time to move on already.

You totally ignored my point though. ;)
I think it's a bit borderline. While i get that forums like this can be seen as means to avertise commercial products, it can be a tad annoying as well, when you expect, or want to give honest advice.
I'd also say that posting Soundcloud links to soundsets is borderline. You may excuse it as a showcase of what a synths is capable, but, in the end, it's all about promotion for your product. There's really not anything else to it. Sure, if the mods are cool with that, fine. Again, maybe it can be tagged "Advert" in a future forum software version, because, that's what it is, actually.

It's as if i watch a film, and then get a commercial break. Time to go pee, and get the chips.

Aint nuffing compared to Lotuxilzia and DiscoDSP.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

discoDSP wrote:Discovery Pro offers +5000 presets (without 3rd party sound banks) fits plenty of musical genres and has been endorsed by many musicians. Why dissing a bit of self promotion?

Cheers,
George.
Since this thread resulted from my post in another thread, I just don't like it when developers recommend their own products in such threads where people, who obviously don't know much about it yet, are asking for advice.
Nothing against discoDSP, I would have written the same thing if Lennar had chimed in and recommended Sylenth1.
I just don't like that typical American way (regardless of whether or not discoDSP is American) of unashamedly promoting oneself.

y'all heard my new tracks?
:D

fluffy_little_something wrote:
discoDSP wrote:Discovery Pro offers +5000 presets (without 3rd party sound banks) fits plenty of musical genres and has been endorsed by many musicians. Why dissing a bit of self promotion?

Cheers,
George.
Since this thread resulted from my post in another thread, I just don't like it when developers recommend their own products in such threads where people, who obviously don't know much about it yet, are asking for advice.
Nothing against discoDSP, I would have written the same thing if Lennar had chimed in and recommended Sylenth1.
I just don't like that typical American way (regardless of whether or not discoDSP is American) of unashamedly promoting oneself.
As I said in the other thread, the mods allow this so it's time to move on.

But...if you really have a problem with it, there is a solution.

Start a petition. Get as many members here as you can to sign it. Submit the petition to the admin of the site. Make sure you include everything in the petition that you want stopped.

For example.

No more posting of Soundcloud or Youtube links of your products
No more recommending your own products

And so on.

Then, recommend the prescribed punishment.

First offense - One week suspension
Second offense - One month suspension
Third offense - Permanent ban from forum

Then what KVR will need to do is create another sub forum to go along with the Soundware forum which is where soundware is advertised. Instruments is actually supposed to be where instruments are advertised (again, ask the mods) but since you don't like that, we need to create an "Instrument Adverts" sub forum for people to recommend their instruments.

If you can get enough people to sign this petition, you just might get the practice to stop. Of course you will also kill this forum. Make no mistake about it.

I'd be very curious to see just how many people would sign such a petition. My gut tells me very few as it's always the same few people complaining about this stuff.

Anyway, there is your recourse.

As they say, poop or get off the pot. But this constant complaining about something the mods have ruled as acceptable is pointless and getting old and annoying.

One last thing. The other day, in a Dune 2 thread, one member was asking if there were any other 3rd party libraries available for Dune 2. I said I had one. I made a sale because of it.

Maybe I should be crucified and hung for that as well.

fluffy_little_something wrote: I just don't like that typical American way (regardless of whether or not discoDSP is American) of unashamedly promoting oneself.
Me neither. Sure, companies have to know themselves, and KVR does too, whether or not it is offtopic (it mostly is), but, a company so desperate surely doesn't make a good impression on me. To each his opinion. Maybe it is perfectly alright to most.
wagtunes wrote:One last thing. The other day, in a Dune 2 thread, one member was asking if there were any other 3rd party libraries available for Dune 2. I said I had one. I made a sale because of it.

That's different to just randomly posting Soundcloud demos. Again, you have to know that yourself. I wouldn't do it, even if i sold soundsets. Don't see the point really.

Note also that you can promote your soundsets on KVR, without plastering unrelated forum threads with them.

wagtunes wrote:One last thing. The other day, in a Dune 2 thread, one member was asking if there were any other 3rd party libraries available for Dune 2. I said I had one. I made a sale because of it.

for one sale? one or the other will suffice, both seems excessive.

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:

Cheers,
George.
As I said in the other thread, the mods allow this so it's time to move on.

But...if you really have a problem with it, there is a solution.

Start a petition. Get as many members here as you can to sign it. Submit the petition to the admin of the site. Make sure you include everything in the petition that you want stopped.

For example.

No more posting of Soundcloud or Youtube links of your products
No more recommending your own products

And so on.

Then, recommend the prescribed punishment.

First offense - One week suspension
Second offense - One month suspension
Third offense - Permanent ban from forum

Then what KVR will need to do is create another sub forum to go along with the Soundware forum which is where soundware is advertised. Instruments is actually supposed to be where instruments are advertised (again, ask the mods) but since you don't like that, we need to create an "Instrument Adverts" sub forum for people to recommend their instruments.

If you can get enough people to sign this petition, you just might get the practice to stop. Of course you will also kill this forum. Make no mistake about it.

I'd be very curious to see just how many people would sign such a petition. My gut tells me very few as it's always the same few people complaining about this stuff.

Anyway, there is your recourse.

As they say, poop or get off the pot. But this constant complaining about something the mods have ruled as acceptable is pointless and getting old and annoying.
I don't care about your silly views and absurd suggestions.
Plus, I will continue to post that I don't like such self-promotion every time I see it on KVR. Whether you like it or not is totally irrelevant.

vurt wrote:

for one sale? one or the other will suffice, both seems excessive.
Hung, drawn & quartered should be the bare minimum.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't care about your silly views and absurd suggestions.
Plus, I will continue to post that I don't like such self-promotion every time I see it on KVR. Whether you like it or not is totally irrelevant.
Well done on contributing to the problem of excessive noise.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I think wagtunes' view is a bit black and white anyway. Why not make companies or individuals think, or present a different view? Why a petition to prevent things? Why disallow things at all? For me, it's rather a question of whether or not companies or individuals want to be seen as valid forum members, or advertising bots, to put it drastically. See, i'd like to see George as a forum member, for example, but, i can't, with his endless promotion of his products in threads where people seriously ask for a good recommendation for synth XY. Discovery Pro is neither a good "allround synth", nor is it a recommendation for about any request for a synth with features XY. Just an example. Although i really don't know anyone else who is so prominent with suggesting his own stuff. It just makes his whole company seem a bit silly in my eyes. YMMV.

You're welcome :hihi:

chk071 wrote:I think wagtunes' view is a bit black and white anyway. Why not make companies or individuals think, or present a different view? Why a petition to prevent things? Why disallow things at all? For me, it's rather a question of whether or not companies or individuals want to be seen as valid forum members, or advertising bots, to put it drastically. See, i'd like to see George as a forum member, for example, but, i can't, with his endless promotion of his products in threads where people seriously ask for a good recommendation for synth XY. Discovery Pro is neither a good "allround synth", nor is it a recommendation for about any request for a synth with features XY. Just an example. Although i really don't know anyone else who is so prominent with suggesting his own stuff. It just makes his whole company seem a bit silly in my eyes. YMMV.
I assume he is selling few licenses and having a hard time. I am sorry if that's true.
I just think it would make more sense to bring some major upgrade to his portfolio so he can compete with the leading developers. D and DP for instance seem a bit dated. I would only get something like that if I needed to import and export Nord Lead patches. Other than that, I would never spend so much money on such a basic synth. Sorry to say that...

I don't mind a bit of self promotion, if it is on topic. I don't find it to interfere with the thread.

The worst outcome for me is some self promotion followed by complaints about it and then the thread is gone into noise and little signal.

I consider it the responsibility of the self promoter to not let that happen. If you post some self promotion, then have the courtesy to others not to engage in such discussions.

So if I were setting KVR policy, it would be this. You can self promote if it is reasonably on topic. If someone says they don't like it, say nothing because they are also free to express themselves. If threads repeatedly get derailed because the person doing the commercial promotion cannot keep their mouth shut, then they will forfeit being able to self promote.

With the privilege of being able to advertise to users, should come the responsibility to not let it become a distraction.

Return to “Site Stuff”