Can we get a like button here?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My first reaction to a like button is hell no, I hate Facebook however there are lots of threads I read that I’d like to acknowledge although a verbal response isn’t required or truth be told I can’t be arsed replying to properly.

Let’s say one of my KVR “friends” goes on holiday, what can I say to that post, however it would be nice to acknowledge that comment by liking it.

Is this something KVR could implement?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

i couldn't find the icon to click my favour or dissatisfaction with this idea :?

vurt wrote:i couldn't find the icon to click my favour or dissatisfaction with this idea :?
Precisely.

Sometimes a verbal comment is unnecessary but a simple like (or dislike) will suffice.

:tu:

In general, the forum software should be updated. There are loads of useful forum functions which KVR doesn't have.

chk071 wrote:In general, the forum software should be updated. There are loads of useful forum functions which KVR doesn't have.
I can only assume the current board protocol doesn’t accommodate such updates.

I hope this 'like button' idea doesn't take off here at KVR.
Far too reminiscent of grotty, attention-seeking practices elsewhere on teh net and, in fairness, we already have the +1 notion here etc.
Besides, it's much more interesting when people say if and why they agree or disagree with someone else's opinion.

As the great British philosopher of the late 20th century, Graham Taylor, said: "Do I not like that!"

dark water wrote:I hope this 'like button' idea doesn't take off here at KVR.
Far too reminiscent of grotty, attention-seeking practices elsewhere on teh net and, in fairness, we already have the +1 notion here etc.
Besides, it's much more interesting when people say if and why they agree or disagree with someone else's opinion.

As the great British philosopher of the late 20th century, Graham Taylor, said: "Do I not like that!"
Ok fair argument. I accept that.

However let’s say somebody has a wonderful dinner with their child they’ve not seen for a long time. I could respond with a well articulated response which takes a lot of time meaning most won’t, however I could “like” it. Don’t you think the poster would like to know people are proud of them?

It’s not about a popularity contest which I think is your concern.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
dark water wrote:I hope this 'like button' idea doesn't take off here at KVR.

Ok fair argument. I accept that.

However let’s say somebody has a wonderful dinner with their child they’ve not seen for a long time. I could respond with a well articulated response which takes a lot of time meaning most won’t, however I could “like” it. Don’t you think the poster would like to know people are proud of them?

It’s not about a popularity contest which I think is your concern.

Dunno - you've lost me a bit there with that comparison! :hihi:
(And in fairness how much time does one need to take to write a well articulated response using a couple of sentences - 30 seconds maybe?)

TBH, I'm not going to mind if the KVR powers that be install a like button. However, practically speaking, haven't we already got something that does the same thing, ie the +1 notion?

dark water wrote:However, practically speaking, haven't we already got something that does the same thing, ie the +1 notion?
Not necessarily. A +1 on a "I had a wonderful holiday" denotes this poster also had a wonderful holiday not that they're happy for the original poster.

Yes a like button! My posts are amazing! It would make it easier for my fans to show they care.

low_low wrote:Yes a like button! My posts are amazing! It would make it easier for my fans to show they care.
I reiterate it's not a popularity contest.

My motivation comes from forums such as Gearslutz and Psymusic where this system works very well.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
dark water wrote:However, practically speaking, haven't we already got something that does the same thing, ie the +1 notion?
Not necessarily. A +1 on a "I had a wonderful holiday" denotes this poster also had a wonderful holiday not that they're happy for the original poster.
+1

Frankly, knowing the function from other forums, i also think it makes a nice addition. It could be a popularity contest for some, that is correct. At the same time, forums motivate some users to troll, and you wouldn't close down forums just because of that, right? I think it's a nice way of adding a +1 without actually having to post.

What i also would like to have, though, is a user control panel, just like in some forums, Reasontalk comes to mind, where you get notified that someone quoted or mentioned you. And, on top of that, it'd also be great if the forum software would support browser notifications. You know, all those little things which are present in modern forums. KVR forums software seems like something from the early 2000's compared. No offense meant. ;)

Mushy Mushy wrote:
low_low wrote:Yes a like button! My posts are amazing! It would make it easier for my fans to show they care.
I reiterate it's not a popularity contest.

Return to “Site Stuff”