general Music Cafe discussion thread

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aliens wrote:
vurt wrote: thread isn't about her though, its about all café users ;)
Sure the outcome affects all users, but lets be under no illusion, it really is all about one member.
it is about one member, just that member is not silke f.

theres always a twist in these things. then the series gets cancelled so it ends up making no sense.

vurt wrote: it is about one member, just that member is not silke f.
Yep, it started out that way but I agree it's got clearer. :tu:
Last edited by Aliens on Sun May 20, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

:tu:

vurt wrote:it is about one member, just that member is not silke f.

theres always a twist in these things. then the series gets cancelled so it ends up making no sense.
If the twist of the plot is that instead of member A the member B will be under attack then the sequel indeed doesn't make sense.

However, the whole idea could also circle around the question what's seen as disrespectful and thus being toxic for a community.

Having specific examples at hand does help to underline arguments and positions.

elassi wrote:
vurt wrote:it is about one member, just that member is not silke f.

If the twist of the plot is that instead of member A the member B will be under attack then the sequel indeed doesn't make sense.

However, the whole idea could also circle around the question what's seen as disrespectful and thus being toxic for a community.

Having specific examples at hand does help to underline arguments and positions.
no one is attacking anyone, yes theres disagreement on solutions, but no attacks :)

vurt wrote:yes theres disagreement on solutions, but no attacks :)
It should be like this in general. :tu:

When my wife went to study, she was in a student dorm. This dorm had a handy list of rules to help keep students on the straight and narrow.

One of these rules was "No parties may be held on the roof". Like any reasonable student, my wife's immediate reaction to this news was, "there's a roof? ... suitable for parties? Cowabunga*!"

* Or whatever it was we used to say instead of "awesome!" back then

sjm wrote:When my wife went to study, she was in a student dorm. This dorm had a handy list of rules to help keep students on the straight and narrow.

One of these rules was "No parties may be held on the roof". Like any reasonable student, my wife's immediate reaction to this news was, "there's a roof? ... suitable for parties? Cowabunga*!"

* Or whatever it was we used to say instead of "awesome!" back then
in my day it was "bongo says "high times!"
high times said in a parrot type voice.
we spent a lot of time watching college films from the 80s, including "oc and stiggs" which was a bit shit, but had a parrot called bongo in it. bongo became my nickname for a while due to always bringing a bong to parties.
oh to be a teenager again 8)

elassi wrote:
vurt wrote:yes theres disagreement on solutions, but no attacks :)
It should be like this in general. :tu:

maybe if the world was like that we wouldn't be in the shit storm we are in. generally speaking.

but, im just one guy on a forum with an opinion, sadly im not photogenic or good at pretending to be other people on telly. ive never released a fragrance (in a bottle before anyone makes the obvious comment) my wife (i don't have one) was not in any girl band.
ive never written a book, a hit or even kept a diary (i should have, some of the shit ive done, could easily end up on a shelf next to kool aid acid test...)
so, no one listens.

answers, i have. to questions not yet even asked.

sjm wrote: Instead, the best way to deal with things you don't like or think are questionable is to not support them. Ignore the poster and their songs. If the general consensus is that someone is spamming and should be ignored, that will happen of its own accord. Maybe not immediately, but with time.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I think the flaw in your argument is that everyone can ignore the poster but that poster can still bump all of their own threads and take over the front page of the Cafe at will. I personally don't want to get into a bumping war to keep my music afloat. In that kind of environment, only the most obnoxious people are heard.

However, I get that people are rules averse here and I am about to give up on this discussion.

Ghe I assume Silke did not write a single note, but they sure uploaded some good stuff. Hmmm.... weird.

Frantz wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I think the flaw in your argument is that everyone can ignore the poster but that poster can still bump all of their own threads and take over the front page of the Cafe at will. I personally don't want to get into a bumping war to keep my music afloat. In that kind of environment, only the most obnoxious people are heard.
I doubt you need to engage in a bump war. If people realise that the first page is full of spam from the same person, they'll skip that and move to page 2. Better to stick to your principles than to stoop to the level you despise.

I would be extremely surprised if this were not just a temporary KVR phenomenon. They come and go. In 5 years, we'll be laughing about Silke F. It'll be the new tarnce. Just now, in the moment, it's hard to see it that way.

Remember:
"There is only one thing worse than being talked about..."

"... and that is playing squash by yourself."

sjm wrote: I doubt you need to engage in a bump war. If people realise that the first page is full of spam from the same person, they'll skip that and move to page 2. Better to stick to your principles than to stoop to the level you despise.
I don't plan on engaging in a bump war even though that is vurt's preferred "solution."

You can't expect all the well behaved posters to be neatly lumped together on page 2. There will be a mess that will be difficult to sort through. Ultimately people will lose interest in dealing with the mess and move onto other forums that have moderators that enforce basic guidelines.

When you drop your next track in the Cafe, it may quickly disappear behind Silke and the self-bumpers and receive no feedback.

Give it two weeks. Trust me.

There is a reason I included the Oscar Wilde quote (obviously not the Monty Python version). It's been alluded to already by the odd poster in this thread.

sjm wrote:Give it two weeks. Trust me.
Two weeks is a very long time for a place to be dysfunctional. The internet routes around damage like this. No site has a permanent audience. When was the last time you were on myspace?

Return to “Site Stuff”