Who banned 1eqinfinity and why???

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Aliens
KVRian
838 posts since 2 Oct, 2016 from DogGirlDon't

Post Fri May 11, 2018 2:42 am

So they are, WR :tu:

Can't see much in that exchange, so no obvious :hihi: moment.

sjm
KVRAF
1957 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Re: Who banned 1eqinfinity and why???

Post Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Aliens wrote:I would like to request banned members posts are still searchable after the hammer comes down though
They still are.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/search.php

'Search for author'
99% of the time it's obvious what post got reported/led to the ban. Sometimes in the case of particularly bad transgressions, the mods will edit the post to remove the offensive content. This is normally made very clear, something along the lines of "Mod Edit: no personal attacks!".

I believe it is also possible (though presumably happens a lot less often) for people to be banned for PMs that are obviously not publicly accessible. I'm thinking of users that get warned in a thread and then send abusive PMs to the mod that warned them. That tends not to end well.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

Hink
Rad Grandad
29539 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Fri May 11, 2018 6:44 am

Tj Shredder wrote:Things are clearing up a bit. In a way it doesn't help anybody to make understanding why someone is banned so difficult.
If you don't want to be banned, stay away from silly childs...; - )
we dont ban for name calling, we suspend if we have to and only as a last resort do we ban. Perhaps there was more to it than meets the eye.
I am pretty new to KVR, maybe I am even naive, but it is essential to keep such a place calm and clear. So I might have overlooked a lot of what might be even documented - how decisions are made and how those are communicated.
new but yet you think you can make demands and accusations? Even in this post you wont stop with some kind of hint of conspiracy...I mean really, like we go around banning people for the hell of it. You likely didn't overlook anything because we can see information you cant that is kept private for very good reasons.

This came up, because for me there was not enough transparency within this process. Just assuming all decisions are correct and unquestionable would be naive as well! That is why I asked the topic questions.
but yet long established rules ask not to start new threads asking why other threads were locked, it would only make sense you dont do the the same when someone is banned. So maybe for you there wasn't enough transparency, but you were not involved until you thrust yourself into this. Sorry to inform you of this but modding is 24/7, I subscribe to hot threads and get notified by email on my phone, this happens when I'm sleeping, shopping, in my own studio, working in my yard, eating and of course there is the rest of the time I am reading posts and posts (quite literally I eat sleep and drink KvR but not to worry, I am honored to do so because this place and the members mean a lot to me). I am not alone in that department as a mod. So please forgive us if we dont always think we should let every member know when we come across certain situations and drop the ban hammer. Some violations require no thought and we are not going to post a report for the users on each and every one, sorry but that's asking an awful lot and as has been stated by others not likely a good idea.
I was a bit astonished about some of the reactions. As if decisions on KVR and their moderators are unquestionable in principle. If that would be the case, I would feel very uncomfortable.
maybe as a newcomer you should have listened to what they said as they know how things go. In this thread however you are only seeing things from your angle. Example, you have said in this thread that this member is very well respected, you have said "Certainly one of the most valuable contributors of KVR" basing that on his/hers 155 posts in 6 years?

You know those people who you are surprised by their responses? The ones that have been around for years? How many people with 155 posts scattered about do you think they have seen come and go?
Questions could simply be answered, even if they just explain that there are proofs of a violation, but to protect the violator they are not published... (The violator of a rule could actually agree and eventually apologize for that violation and thus could help clarify the issue.)
Here you are again asking us for more of our time and really as a mod I think I do explain things quite often. I will admit it has been less because certain members do just give me a basic sthu and do it, but here is a huge example of damned if we do, damned if we dont. Already this thread has taken a lot of my time that should go elsewhere. Not all cases are a question of an apology, like repeated behaviors. Now you want proofs of what happened, should we mods get lawyers? Should we unionize and get reps? Give me a break already.
So I have still some questions regarding the process of banning and what happens after:
For me rules have to be there and have to be respected. If rules are broken, the punishment is known (in this case banning and/or suspension).

What kind of communication happens after a ban? There is no way for the banned person to explain anything in the forum, but there must be some sort of communication afterwards.
it really depends on what the violation is, before hand in most cases there are warnings, PM's and such and myself I try to reach out to people which is no secret. When one is banned he is persona non grata and if said member was banned as opposed to suspended it was a good reason. Very rarely does anyone come back from a suspension with positive communication, rarely will people own up to their errs. The truth is there are some members who I wish would have come back and talked instead of having a chip on their shoulder, but we dont always get what we want.
Is there a way to get the user back on the boat? We all do bad things from time to time, learning to become a respected member also needs the ability to forgive...

I would like to have answers from moderators still, else wise the thread could be locked now...
this pretty much sums it well, this is based on your assumptions and based on scanning 155 posts. You make accusations toward the mods and toward KvR based on that and then you are not comfortable with us? You're right about forgiveness and KvR is pretty forgiving, beyond what other forums do from what I get told. Some behaviors are repeated in a nontransparent way and you wont know that, it would be impossible for us to tell you about that and really it's just offensive as all hell that you would jump to attacking the mods, the process and the site based on what you think you know from 155 posts.

This thread was out of line, other members who have been around explained it well and a few see the chance to fight the system. Anything we do is not for the mods, it's for you people, it's for the integrity of KvR and we do work hard at what we do despite never being right in our decisions. Of course that is really to be expected with a site as big as KvR, people do not agree and we do our best, it is what it is. I would suggest breaking the rules by starting such a thread, making accusations and demands right from the start probably wasn't the best way to handle this.

FTR as you are new here users can lock their own threads.
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3245 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri May 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Hink wrote:new but yet you think you can make demands and accusations? Even in this post you wont stop with some kind of hint of conspiracy...I mean really, like we go around banning people for the hell of it. You likely didn't overlook anything because we can see information you cant that is kept private for very good reasons.
There has been no accusation from my site, just wondering what was happening. This whole discussion could have been much shorter...
Hink wrote:
So I have still some questions regarding the process of banning and what happens after:
For me rules have to be there and have to be respected. If rules are broken, the punishment is known (in this case banning and/or suspension).

What kind of communication happens after a ban? There is no way for the banned person to explain anything in the forum, but there must be some sort of communication afterwards.
it really depends on what the violation is, before hand in most cases there are warnings, PM's and such and myself I try to reach out to people which is no secret. When one is banned he is persona non grata and if said member was banned as opposed to suspended it was a good reason. Very rarely does anyone come back from a suspension with positive communication, rarely will people own up to their errors. The truth is there are some members who I wish would have come back and talked instead of having a chip on their shoulder, but we dont always get what we want.
Thanks for that explanation.

Return to “Site Stuff”