I'm tired of these 10points reviews...

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh my god, virtually all reviewers rate their object with 10 or 9 points. Shurely completely neutral, unbiased and balanced... Hahaha ! I'm so tired of this fanboi crap. I wanna read some real pros and cons! I wanna read some destructive commentary when it's justified. There are so many expensive shiny plugins which are underperforming compared to professional (not aka expensive!) ones: why the hell does nobody kill them? Too polite? Too shy? :dog:

IMO, it's like this: Most "private" reviewers are either loving, or hating the synth they write a review for. And most of them are not really able to write a good, structured review anyway. The people who are able to do so, are mostly sound designers, or people who also write for music blogs, magazines, or other "instiutions", which live from the industry they are reviewing.

So, basically, i don't really expect much from reviews anyway. Although the amount of reviews, and the rating are a loose indicator of the quality of a synth. Synth1 excluded. :P Other than that, demo demo demo.

martinjuenke wrote:Oh my god, virtually all reviewers rate their object with 10 or 9 points. Shurely completely neutral, unbiased and balanced... Hahaha ! I'm so tired of this fanboi crap. I wanna read some real pros and cons! I wanna read some destructive commentary when it's justified. There are so many expensive shiny plugins which are underperforming compared to professional (not aka expensive!) ones: why the hell does nobody kill them? Too polite? Too shy? :dog:
This is my favourite comment today - love it!!!!
10 out of 10 :P

TBH, there's very few reviews I'd bother reading - the only ones I'd trust are by forum members who I've either communicated with or I've seen writing intelligent comments elsewhere on the site.
I think most of us take the reviews with a pinch of salt anyway. Besides, at least it makes a change from comments on the teaching website (I'm a teacher for my sins) which are all full of despair, loathing and depression...
Also, there's been at least one previous thread at KVR expressing the same dismay about top mark reviews as yours does here. Plus ca change innit?

martinjuenke wrote:Oh my god, virtually all reviewers rate their object with 10 or 9 points. Shurely completely neutral, unbiased and balanced... Hahaha ! I'm so tired of this fanboi crap. I wanna read some real pros and cons! I wanna read some destructive commentary when it's justified. There are so many expensive shiny plugins which are underperforming compared to professional (not aka expensive!) ones: why the hell does nobody kill them? Too polite? Too shy? :dog:
If there is a plugin, whatever, that you think is poor, do your own review... See how long it stays up.

I don't mind the 10/10 ratings so much as the lack of info about the product and what the reviewer used it for. Context is everything.

What I want to know is why the reviewer likes it. What did they use it for? What does it do well? This lets me decide to what extent the review is relevant to me and by extension if I am interested in the product. A one line Twitter review provides no value to anyone.

I understand that people are much more likely to review the products they use a lot. And they are more likely to be using stuff they like a lot. So it stands to reason that reviews are going to be more positive.

Never pay attention to the positive reviews, they're written by those that have nothing better to do than post them. If they were truly happy with the purchase, they'd be making music with it and forget to come back to write it.

Pay attention to the bad reviews. These are written by pissed off individuals who came back specifically tell the seller where he could stick it and why. He'll be sure to outline every point he took issue with.

I always start at the 0 stars and work my way up. Rarely need to go further than 2 to get the gist, but it all depends.

Googly Smythe wrote:
If there is a plugin, whatever, that you think is poor, do your own review... See how long it stays up.
Are you implying that negative reviews get removed by the site owners?

let's remove these silly "point wankeries" and keep the written stuff. do i get 10 points for this groundbreaking idea? :hihi: :borg:
"It dreamed itself along"

Guys guys........

It's quite common to get the euphoria of something cool and want to tell the world about it. Let's face it, when someone gripes about something they get jumped on pretty badly too.

It's kinda like "likes" and the such.

I wonder if it's not also a flaw in people's understanding, as in "10 = good" and "anything less = flawed." Or maybe something about a 5 should mean average (instead of "a good solid product"), which now means boring and hence substandard. Which probably happens because of fanboys rating everything a 10... chicken, meet egg!

It may also be that our cultures (ain't no such thing as a single unified culture, probably not even in one's head) tend to confuse obsession and extreme emotions with authentic experience. Anything you like, you must love, and anything you dislike, you must loathe. Certainly my fiancée and my brother believe this. (Apparently I'm a robot for not being easy to manipulate, for not having buttons to be pushed. Hunh?)

Another factor is that people only tend to rate things they like or hate. Why bother doing the effort for something that means nothing to you?

All of the above tend to result in binary ratings.

I dunno, just some overcaffeinated oversugared Friday night at home mental rambling. :hihi:
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

It's like job ratings, you can't be a 10 unless you give sexual favors :hihi:

OP is right, Anyway, i don't read that crapy "reviews" section anymore, I couldn't care less.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Jafo wrote: I dunno, just some overcaffeinated oversugared Friday night at home mental rambling. :hihi:
No, you're completely right, even it's a kind of tragedy...

Jafo wrote:I wonder if it's not also a flaw in people's understanding, as in "10 = good" and "anything less = flawed."
8/10

I would pay more for very detailed reviews. I generally trust SOS (to which I subscribe) and TapeOP but they don't put serious pressure on long standing developers to iron out bugs. Steinberg and others get a pass every time, even as they depreciate known bugs with each iteration. A detailed bug squashing / tracking history would be a valuable part of each review and it would give credibility to the authors. It would prove that they actually have completed large projects with the software and have used the majority of the features. The developers don't need to get "trashed" either to make me happy. Some attention to bug history and the effort to squash them is highly relevant and rarely covered.

I agree that a 10 point scale seems to be of little value.

Return to “Site Stuff”