bloody ads

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i know you're laughing all the way to teh bank but this site takes so bloody long to load pages now, don't know if it's an extra column, or a wider clientele ("glad bags proud sponsors of the audio industry").

how bloody miserable. a couple of ads = part and parcel, a freaking flotilla/convoy of ads tweaked with extra load time before you can pilot your bloody browser again = unadultered sadism. i've got six ads displaying just on the "write post" page, and i know that's less than other pages.

cultivate some sense of restraint and consideration for others. you oughta know why by now.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Loads fast here, no complaints. :shrug: And i have my adblocker deactivated for this site.

I use ad blockers everywhere I can. The advertising industry did this to themselves.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

How ironic. KVRists represent themselves as the ultimate consumer/fan boi...they brag about the synths and plugs they own, list their kit in their tag line like it's some kind of qualification. They post threads and surveys about how many they own,and query each other about their next purchase. With all this blatant consumerism they are surprised they are the target demographic of advertising on this sight. Try to remember someone has to pay for the bandwidth you are provided for free to bitch and whine.

The bizarre thing is there are no popups or rollovers (or at least none I can recall). There are just some banners and skyscraper positions some of which animate a bit. Do the people with adblockers also block the Marketplace or bargains widget?

The stuff that slows the site down seems to be more JQuery and other Javascript that handles stuff like dropdown menus.

Doesn't seem to be related to ads. Ever since the "GREAT OVERHAUL" of the site a couple of years ago, the load times here are highly erratic. Sometimes the pages load instantly, sometimes it takes ages. Prior to that, KVR was one of the fastest loading sites ever.

Maybe it's all those Google services and other external nonsense? I've seen slowdowns on other sites as well during the last years - although less drastic and less erratic. But I'm not an expert, I can only guess...

(latest Firefox with adblocker here)
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

Loads fine here, no ad blockers.

dreamkeeper wrote:Doesn't seem to be related to ads. Ever since the "GREAT OVERHAUL" of the site a couple of years ago, the load times here are highly erratic. Sometimes the pages load instantly, sometimes it takes ages. Prior to that, KVR was one of the fastest loading sites ever.

Maybe it's all those Google services and other external nonsense? I've seen slowdowns on other sites as well during the last years - although less drastic and less erratic. But I'm not an expert, I can only guess...

Fully agreed. The site also became more painful on mobile (though some of those issues have been somewhat mitigated).

Scripting and server side junk... Treating websites like software is a mistake. Some sites have interesting and useful functionality because of this stuff but most websites were faster and easier to deal with when they were basic HTML and occasional JavaScript for stuff like rollovers (which are absolutely annoying on mobile devices!!). I miss the minimalism.

Of course, now we have the flat fad claiming to be minimalism... So many sites now have a flat appearance but are full of bloated scripting. So many sites have a loading animation. WTF. We're continuing to go backwards, technologically, by adding more technology wiz bang feature creep crap.

By the way, my adblockers don't block everything by far but they make the Internet functional. Without them... Well, just no.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
dreamkeeper wrote:Doesn't seem to be related to ads. Ever since the "GREAT OVERHAUL" of the site a couple of years ago, the load times here are highly erratic. Sometimes the pages load instantly, sometimes it takes ages. Prior to that, KVR was one of the fastest loading sites ever.

Fully agreed. The site also became more painful on mobile (though some of those issues have been somewhat mitigated).

Scripting and server side junk... Treating websites like software is a mistake. Some sites have interesting and useful functionality because of this stuff but most websites were faster and easier to deal with when they were basic HTML and occasional JavaScript for stuff like rollovers (which are absolutely annoying on mobile devices!!). I miss the minimalism.

Of course, now we have the flat fad claiming to be minimalism... So many sites now have a flat appearance but are full of bloated scripting. So many sites have a loading animation. WTF. We're continuing to go backwards, technologically, by adding more technology wiz bang feature creep crap.

By the way, my adblockers don't block everything by far but they make the Internet functional. Without them... Well, just no.
The phenom you describe was predicted by DEVO (de-evolution). It is also why Trump is "President".

Keep political stuff in hpc please
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

thanks Rurik for mentioning this, I have exactly the same problem. Every single page loads, eventually, but during the minute or so of it completing whatever-it's-doing nothing can be clicked. It's getting tedious.

I've got ABP unused here so I see ads but I also have NoScript running and after installing that I went through and disabled all the scripts I needed to actually see KVR and I was left with this:
Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 18.55.32.png
I know I'm a little over zealous with my system protection, but it works for me. Except on KVR. I can't believe allowing the googlesyndication.com domain is going to improve the site for me.

So what has actually changed? Is it those ads which sit at the back of everything?

--edit
I forgot to mention, because it didn't initially seem related, but if I click on another tab in FF to have a look at some other internet crap, the mouse remains unresponsive to clicks on all other tabs.

Also, sorry about the huge image - that's retina screens for you :tu: :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CinningBao on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

accidental self-quote instead of post edit

CinningBao wrote:..during the minute or so of it completing whatever-it's-doing nothing can be clicked. It's getting tedious.
displaying ads :p yes, it is tedious. the "you posted, what would you like to do now sir or mistress?" screen takes about two minutes to load now, which is different than it was, perhaps only a month ago. and we're back to the 1990's if i open several threads at a time.

balls to any cultural procedure, lets show them ads, because my fat arse. blindfold in place, leadfoot the ga$$$.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Jace-BeOS wrote:I use ad blockers everywhere I can. The advertising industry did this to themselves.
I know it. It's gotten ridiculous. They already want to invade our dreams and advertise there.

And when they start shoving things up my ass so they can advertise there... I'll just have to eat a lot of pizza and stevia. Gives me the squirts. That'll teach them.

Oligarch motherfuckers :x

I have some dahtah which may be of some use to the site staff if there is any intention of improving this..

FireFox with ABP disabled and NoScript running (with all but googlesyndication.com allowed) and KVR might as well be hosted on a 386 over 1400 baud.

Chrome with ScriptBlock on 'Block' and AdBlock running is absolutely fine.

Safari with no plugins hosts shows KVR fine as well.

Chrome seems fine, but my principles do not allow me to use it (not with that memory management)

I don't want to speculate on what is causing this problem, but it does seem, from this angle, only FF on OSX affected.

pish

Return to “Site Stuff”