How to delete/deactivate account?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ras.s wrote:No Gamma-UT, that's my opinion as a participant there. Opinions are mostly what each post is, as you probably know, I thought I wouldn't need to suffix everything with a big "IMHO". Thanks though for slicing it like that and not replying to anything else that I wrote as a reply to you.
I thought you were leaving.

I agree that it would be a good option to add the ability to delete/deactivate ones own user account.

To be able to delete one or more of ones own user posts would also be a good option to add, instead of having to manually delete them, by editing.

Numanoid wrote:I agree that it would be a good option to add the ability to delete/deactivate ones own user account.

To be able to delete one or more of ones own user posts would also be a good option to add, instead of having to manually delete them, by editing.
No, please. It is bad enough that people can edit their posts in hindsight and thus render following conversations useless. I think one should only be able to edit posts for 1 minute after posting, Mostly in order to correct typos.

Numanoid wrote:To be able to delete one or more of ones own user posts would also be a good option to add, instead of having to manually delete them, by editing.
If you want to fill up the pages with huge chunks of quoted text, that would be an excellent plan. Otherwise, no. Agree with fluffy on this one.

ras.s wrote:whyterabbyt, isn't that a bit harsh approach to someone asking for better service from a service provider?
What makes you think 'asking' anything has got anything to do with it?

And its not a 'better' service just because you say so, its a different service from the one yousigned up for. Just because you want that thing doesnt make it a better thing.

(And I certainly dont consider it 'better' that any of our repeated sockpuppets and trolls could can turn up, cause trouble, and then get to ensure that anything that prevents them from being identified when they turn up again has been eradicated, so that they can get a clear run at it again, ie the trumpubus gambit)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Numanoid wrote:I agree that it would be a good option to add the ability to delete/deactivate ones own user account.

Account deactivation would be fine, except for the 'oooh I changed my mind brigade'. Deleting the posts that go with an account is a bad idea.

what's wrong with, you know, logging out and not logging in?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:what's wrong with, you know, logging out and not logging in?
Dont be silly, that would be personal responsibility.

Burillo, it would leave the messages intact. I think having them deleted provides a closure, like fluffy put it: "officially closing a chapter and moving on". I'm sure there's a level mental investment for anyone who has X amount of years or Y amount of posts under their belt (the amounts depending on the individual). Deleting them at least partly clears that investment, which abandoning an account may not do for everyone. Time is of course always lost.

whyterabbyt, I don't have much to add to that, you are of course correct on the semantics of "better" and "different from what you signed up for". Of course adding the feature would be the only way to see its outcome, what the repeated sockpuppets and the 'oooh I changed my mind brigade' would do and so on. I don't see that an assumption of abuse or misconduct should hold the administrator back from giving this option to all users.

ras.s wrote:I don't see that an assumption of abuse or misconduct should hold the administrator back from giving this option to all users.
And yet you clearly have no problem thinking that your assumption of it being 'better' should cause the administrator to give this option to all users.
So much so that this thread would appear to predicated entirely on that assumption (thus unduly delaying your flounce off into the sunset.)

ras.s wrote:Burillo, it would leave the messages intact. I think having them deleted provides a closure, like fluffy put it: "officially closing a chapter and moving on".
Go and delete the content then. No-one's stopping you. You ask for a name change to "nothereanymore0001" and put "I'm deleted" in all the user info boxes. Put gibberish in the email and password. Job done.

Maybe that's too much hard work in your efforts to mentally move on. But it sounds cathartic to me. No pain, no gain.

I can't remember who it was, but there was one user who went through their old posts to delete the content. So, it's not as if it hasn't been done before.

Gamma-UT wrote:I can't remember who it was, but there was one user who went through their old posts to delete the content. So, it's not as if it hasn't been done before.
Yup, I remember seeing that. And there's one current poster who, for a while, was retroactively deleting his old posts a few weeks later.

whyterabbyt, at the very least it would be better in that these type of matters would not need to be discussed publicly. Click and it's done. Gone is the possibility to log in and respond back, the credibility at the marketplace forum, every single contribution whether negative or positive, all the chatty chatty, even the musical partners. Something that's good for an individual, often ends up being good for the community as well.

It's also a practical issue that the administrator does not always respond to people asking about something privately. This would bypass that part and possibly ease his task of running the site.

Gamma-UT, having to go through each individual post sounds like a penalty for wanting to leave. This is a social media platform, an old school one at that, but still a social media. Having the possibility to remove oneself without making a issue out of it, it's just a sensible thing in this time and age.

Relatively recently I recall that at least mztk started removing his posts until he got the ban that he wanted, and codec_spurt removed some of his posts after the fiasco with that fake famous person but never got banned (and seems to have returned). He also went and removed all the content he had uploaded to the site, which wasn't a little amount, and that's also an issue with abandoning accounts.

ras.s wrote:whyterabbyt, at the very least it would be better in that these type of matters would not need to be discussed publicly.
Another thing that's 'better' because you say so. Interesting.

If your account is "deactivated" or you are "banned" or whatever, and you cannot login, what diff does it make if your posts are there or not? If you dont want to vist kvr, you aren't going to see anything.

Return to “Site Stuff”