KVR Mobile / Wide / Responsive Design (+General) - Issue Tracker

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As you've no doubt noticed the design of KVR has changed a bit this week. Essentially this is to move to a responsive layout that should support narrow screens (i.e. smartphones) from 320px wide up to a new default wider view on the desktop.

I've resolved many of the initial issues in the last couple of days so now I'm throwing this thread open to let you guys report any issues you find.

Please report any issues in this topic. It would be helpful to let me know what phone / device / browser and screen width you are using, along with a screenshot of the issue if possible. You can cut n paste info about you browser / device from http://www.kvraudio.com/browser.php

FYI 1: The right sidebar moves to the bottom of the screen, below the main content, on narrow screens. However, you can quickly access the "What's New at KVR" section via the "New @" button at the top of the screen when this happens.

FYI 2: The Wide Forum option has gone and been replaced by a new "Maximum Screen Width" setting that covers the whole of KVR. Instead of creating a fixed width you can now choose to set a max width for KVR (including choosing a narrower default if you find the new wideness too much). It's available at http://www.kvraudio.com/mykvr.php?m=prefs

FYI 2a: I'm considering making the default a bit narrower than it currently is, perhaps 1200px instead of the current 1344px.

Current Known Narrow Screen Issues
  • The Breadcrumb bar cuts off.
  • The MyKVR "Updates" Drop-Down is too wide and doesn't wrap or reposition content gracefully.
  • The "Register" page is not easy to use at 320px.
  • The "Latest Posts" page needs reformatting.
  • When posting a new topic the "Poll Creation" tab is too wide.
  • UCP Tabs wrap poorly.
  • The UCP is generally a bit squashed (incl. most PM pages).
  • The Search form needs reformatting.
  • Some Interview and Industry Focus pages don't look right
  • The Featured/Related/Random columns on the Video page need reformatting
  • The KVR Poll results page needs reformatting
  • Drop Down menus in Nav Bar should work better on touch screens
  • Quoted text boxes too narrow (need to use % instead of px for margin)
  • Post buttons causing scroll issues on touch screens
  • Related Products drop down causing scroll issues on touch screens
  • Textarea message box zooming on focus (going off screen)
Current Known Wide Screen Issues
  • The Product pages can look a bit odd - specifically the images to the left and the big expanse of space to their right.
Other General KVR Issues
  • Dark Theme for Forum
  • Latest Posts / Custom Forums should be opt out instead of opt in
  • Exclude posts from Foes in Latest Posts list
  • Forum Print View sucks (multi page / whole topic required)

Issue: quoted text boxes too narrow:

For me, normal thread text fits perfectly onto my page (smartphone and tablet), but quoted text only uses half of the screen width. That means there is about three words per line, very tedious to read.

I'm really liking Mobile view as of today . Scroll to the bottom and that is where you will get your right sidebar with all the goods . Thanks @ Ben [KVR] for doing a fine job on this its way easier on my Nexus5 phone .

CableChannel wrote:Issue: quoted text boxes too narrow:

For me, normal thread text fits perfectly onto my page (smartphone and tablet), but quoted text only uses half of the screen width. That means there is about three words per line, very tedious to read.
Added.

Thanks Ben for taking so much time getting this mobile looking as best as possible!

I've expanded the original topic to include general KVR issues.

Ben, is Tapatalk an option at all? I know there are a few people here (including myself) who use it for other sites, and it works really well. Not sure if it's something that is not easy to implement or if you see other issues with it, but it would be great if I could use that to view the site - I really like its interface and it works really well.

Sorry, I know I've mentioned it a few times before, but if you give a definitive answer I'll shut up. :)

The reply boxes are slightly too wide to fit in the screen space without scrolling horizontally. This makes it harder to read your own content before posting it.

EDIT: this happens because going into text edit mode zooms the text box. But it zooms too far.

iPhone 4. iOS 6.x.

Thanks for the redesign. KVR is now WAY more useful on iPhone. It's still sluggish, and that's still seemingly due to the rollover effects (please kill them, especially the hidden edit and quote buttons, which should be static), but it's at least sane now. I can even edit messages larger than the default text box size without going into mad convulsions of hate and anger for the slow performance...
Last edited by Jace-BeOS on Fri May 23, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'm starting to see that hyperlinks in message posts are requiring two touches/taps to follow. This is again probably due to rollovers.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

robojam wrote:Ben, is Tapatalk an option at all? I know there are a few people here (including myself) who use it for other sites, and it works really well.
For those not using Tapatalk (like me) it can be quite obtrusive. An app download dialog keeps appearing every time you visit the forum asking to install, and if you are fine with the mobile web version it can become unpleasant to browse because adds noticeable height on top of the screen.

George wrote:
robojam wrote:Ben, is Tapatalk an option at all? I know there are a few people here (including myself) who use it for other sites, and it works really well.
For those not using Tapatalk (like me) it can be quite obtrusive. An app download dialog keeps appearing every time you visit the forum asking to install, and if you are fine with the mobile web version it can become unpleasant to browse because adds noticeable height on top of the screen.
I wonder if that's configurable on the server side though?

Some scrolling still very awkward in threads and I think I just figured it out: Can't scroll by swiping if your finger falls on the "products related to this topic" thingy. It just does nothing.

UPDATE: That bit is also pausing the whole page (can't scroll) when it loads. Harder to see but I think that's what's happening because the icon on it changes.
Last edited by Jace-BeOS on Fri May 23, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

George wrote:
Personally, I hate those app install page prefixes. They slow page loading every time I go to pages that have them and they won't stop appearing even when closed. What's wrong with standard hyperlinks somewhere at the bottom of a page?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
George wrote:
Personally, I hate those app install page prefixes. They slow page loading every time I go to pages that have them and they won't stop appearing even when closed. What's wrong with standard hyperlinks somewhere at the bottom of a page?
I agree, although as I said in my post above, I don't know if that's a feature of the app or if it is something configurable on the server side. Either way, it's obtrusive and annoying.

No plans for tapatalk. Sorry

Return to “Site Stuff”