New sidebar

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zeep wrote:why must the sidebar be so frikkin wide?
it's for the ads. there is a bit of a cost to run the site
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

androidlove wrote:
zeep wrote:why must the sidebar be so frikkin wide?
it's for the ads. there is a bit of a cost to run the site
Adblock plus thank god. In my kvr, there is none of ads :) And if one pop up, just add it to filter. All those developer or something pictures are filtered out too.

BERFAB wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:
musikmachine wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Looks great on my phone. Maybe this is the mobile version. :hihi:
Interesting! I was just complaining the other day that the Apple "i" products didn't display everything correct on the KVR website. That is a really positive thing if KVR is updating for compatibility purposes.

--Sean
I think it is. I was pleased they got rid of the need for mouseovers (which are hard to replicate on an iPhone) to access the dropdown next to ones user name but unfortunately it still seems tied to taking you straight to Private Messages when you touch it rather than opening the dropdown which is a pain - that still needs addressing
It must be. Everything that looks wrong on the laptop looks good on the mobile screen. I'm guessing they're going for a format that compatible with most devices. :)
It's probably tough finding a happy medium. If they CAN find a good balance, it would be a win-win situation, because I'd really love to be able to access KVR on the run from an iPhone or similar device, and as I mentioned previously, it wasn't working well on the iPhone/iPad. According to some, it is working better on these devices after this update. They've just gotta find the balance.

--Sean
So is there a KVR 'app' for iPhone? I didn't see one (didn't look too hard) but I did manage to bookmark the site anyway.
I don't think so. I just use the default browser with my phone. The screen is small so the layout is better, makes more sense on a small display. :) still a pita with all these quotes though! :x :D
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

BERFAB wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:
musikmachine wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Looks great on my phone. Maybe this is the mobile version. :hihi:
Interesting! I was just complaining the other day that the Apple "i" products didn't display everything correct on the KVR website. That is a really positive thing if KVR is updating for compatibility purposes.

--Sean
I think it is. I was pleased they got rid of the need for mouseovers (which are hard to replicate on an iPhone) to access the dropdown next to ones user name but unfortunately it still seems tied to taking you straight to Private Messages when you touch it rather than opening the dropdown which is a pain - that still needs addressing
It must be. Everything that looks wrong on the laptop looks good on the mobile screen. I'm guessing they're going for a format that compatible with most devices. :)
It's probably tough finding a happy medium. If they CAN find a good balance, it would be a win-win situation, because I'd really love to be able to access KVR on the run from an iPhone or similar device, and as I mentioned previously, it wasn't working well on the iPhone/iPad. According to some, it is working better on these devices after this update. They've just gotta find the balance.

--Sean
So is there a KVR 'app' for iPhone? I didn't see one (didn't look too hard) but I did manage to bookmark the site anyway.
Not that I know of, but I know that Apple has said that it intends to support HTML 5 fully with its Safari browser. (Don't ever count on Flash support). The apps that are made specifically for sites that utilize Flash (think YouTube), are usually using the iOS development kit and special code to get around the lack of Flash. The good news is that HTML 5 can pretty much do what Flash can do. So, by carefully coding the web page in standard HTML, there should be the ability to find a balance that works with all devices.

This is all as I understand things FWIW. :-)

--Sean

Yesterday i got the sidebar working well, today i see that's another time cutting the last post...

KVR is starting to look horrible.

zeep wrote:KVR is starting to look horrible.
Fear of changes?
I'm happy that something goes into changes through the years.
Obviusly if it's well done!
Then we are talking about cosmetics, something that's not our primary focus when browsing over kvr...

Point of views! :wink:

No it's more than cosmetics - it's ergonomics. The cramped nature of the current new posts lists and the bfact that it now cuts off halfway through a post are usability issues and the big black square under plugin of the moment pushes everything down

With every single update the design has gone downhill. Pretty stupid to remove the plugin dropdown list if you ask me. That's like the heart/core of KVR, since it started. The first incarnation of it was the best, no Flash!

The black sidebar is hard to read, much better with the old blue background. It's also too short, in an age of huge monitors.

The ads are irritating as usual, no one looks at them anyway.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

aMUSEd wrote:No it's more than cosmetics - it's ergonomics. The cramped nature of the current new posts lists and the bfact that it now cuts off halfway through a post are usability issues and the big black square under plugin of the moment pushes everything down
Well i agree with you about ergonomics, infact i was referring to "look horrible" as something in the "point of view" circle.

Perhaps i explained my thought not so well.
I wanted to say that when i browse on kvr i don't care if it is blue or orange, obviusly if the forum presents red text over yellow background i go crazy and i'll leave kvr, but if we are talking about minor differences i don't care, if it's readable i don't care about the best working color combo.
I assume that someone says "look horrible" is referring to cosmetics and not ergonomics.

Then we can talk about ergonomics and cosmetics a lot..

"Look horrible" isn't totally a synonymous of "ergonomically horrible", or to be more precise, look comes later, after text dimension and position, then the colors can be pleasant or not, and not considering the common recognized faulty color combos, that's all matter of taste that fall down then to the point of view.
Someone likes warmer, someone colder, someone more contrast etc..there are then tons of studies about it that surely you know amused! :)

Ergonomics, to a certain point, stands out of cosmetic and aestethics.
In case of web reading i think that the first thing is to fix ergonomics, then the cosmetics.
Cosmetics that, if not well balanced, can influence ergonomics in a second moment.
Yes they're almost full relative.

In the case of the current new sidebar (at least for the Forum Posts section) is working well for me, both for ergonomics & cosmetics, the only remaining problem is the last post cutoff.

I think that someone says "look horrible" expresses only his point of view from a cosmethic.

PS
The rectangle over the ads, yep, that's true, full black isn't the best color considering the different plugins UI.

HunterKiller wrote:Pretty stupid to remove the plugin dropdown list if you ask me. That's like the heart/core of KVR, since it started. The first incarnation of it was the best, no Flash!
+1
HunterKiller wrote: The black sidebar is hard to read, much better with the old blue background. It's also too short, in an age of huge monitors.
Also if i find actually readable and working i think that a test with the new layout but with the older colors could be done to have a feedback.
Last edited by raikard233 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raikard233 wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:Pretty stupid to remove the plugin dropdown list if you ask me. That's like the heart/core of KVR, since it started.
+1
+1 Other than the forums themselves the Drop Down plugin list was the most important part of KVR for me.............
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I tried the tabs on my phone and at first it seemed great, don't need to reload a webpage but again each section is cut off by ads. What's the point if you can't see a complete list? :?

I just checked, and the last one(s) is/are cut off? How many messages is everyone else seeing? I've got 15 (counting the one that is cut off.

--Sean

No looking good here, both on the moby and laptop. :)

Return to “Site Stuff”