Sound bank spamalot

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If members are here to sell third party soundbanks, shouldn't the threads be in the marketplace? It's what it's meant for, no?

Why are threads promoting, selling and/or linking to private sales in the INSTRUMENT forum not moved to the forum specifically designed to host them?.

I have set up my kvr account to list forum topics according to my wants (which deliberately excludes the market place forum), yet there they are, threads hawking goods on a regular basis.

Whilst it may not be the biggest issue confronting western civilisation, I do feel that in the wrong forum, 'Soundbanks for sale' threads are just spam, and seeing as kvr has a policy on spam, wonder why no action is ever taken?
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

afaik the Marketplace was always intended for forum users to sell stuff between themselves - of course businesses can sell there too but I don't think there was ever any intention to make that the only place they could sell soundware etc - if it's preset banks for an instrument then Instruments would be an appropriate forum as far as I'm concerned. Most don't push it beyond limits of taste and netiquette by crossposting stuff everywhere - for any that do a friendly nod from mods should be enough in most cases.

I noticed the sticky post by Ben in the samples forum, that mentions to have samples sales promotion posted in the market place.
Maybe it would be good to make a synth presets and samples sales section.
...or maybe not. :oops:

It would be great to divide Market Place into 2-3 categories because there are just too many things there. People are constantly bumping their topics because because they don't want their topic to drop to page 2-3 after one day.

I would divide Market Place into:
1. Audio plugins (Vst, Vsti etc.)
2. Hardware (Synths, audio interfaces, headphones etc.)\
3. Sample libraries, soundbanks (user to user sales, annoucements etc.)

But to be honest it doesnt solve the problem, which is: where should I publish information about ie. free soundbank ? Usually people use "Instruments" category because it's most popular :)

To OP : Of course I can only speak for myself and Le Lotus Bleu but as far as I'm concerned :

We publish release announcements and our "Guess the synth" games in the instruments forums, mainly because the Market Place threads disappear after a while if they are not bumped, and this would prevent people eventually becoming aware of our soudsets it they use keywords to make searches in Kvr.

Then all sales threads (ie mainly promo sales and special sales periods) are only handled via the Market Place forum, to avoid crossposting and cluttering the Instrument forum. I also avoid to self-bump threads I've created too often, for the same reasons. There is no such sad thing on forums as seeing threads bumped by the OP numerous times. Makes me think of unfortunate people shouting in the cruel deserts of the internet buzz :shrug:

I've considered several times the opportunity to create a forum for the company and ask Kvr or dontcrack to host it, but in the end decided we're too small a company to really need such a forum, and I prefer to concentrate my time and efforts on our users service. I might be wrong here.

SOOo that I can understand your concern, but we do our best to be compliant with Kvr etiquette and courtesy rules :shrug:

Fwiw

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Fwiw, I like the idea by D N A. Perhaps also add a miscellaneous section to that (admittedly this could lead to some rather bizarre stuff but it could be fun)?
:)

Purity Lied wrote: Whilst it may not be the biggest issue confronting western civilisation, I do feel that in the wrong forum, 'Soundbanks for sale' threads are just spam, and seeing as kvr has a policy on spam, wonder why no action is ever taken?
I would ask for your understanding on this issue.

There are several things to think about here:
1. Some people don't venture to the market place, and yet they could still be interested in subjects particular to their instrument, which the Instrument forum is all about. So it's only natural to find a post on the Instrumnets forum informing that a new sound bank is released.

2. Most Sound designers posting about their sound banks do not have the budget ( I guess) to organise proper advertsing and promotion via existing channels like ads on music websites and magazines, therefore, any legitimate opportunity to *inform* about a new release is the result.

3. Following from the above point, a sound bank is diffrent to a sample collection ( in most cases) since a sound bank concerns one instrument, but a sample collection may come in many formats ( ie: is made to be used on many products). Therefore, I understand why the Sample forum informs us to place all announcements of new sample releases in the Market Place. However, a synth sound bank is intimately connected to one instrument, therefore, in my eyes it is easier to accept it in the Instruments forum.

4. Lastly, take thought about the poor sound designer. He/she will post about the new sound bank and the likely hood is that the thread will sink to page two, then three in a very short time, reducing the opprtunity for interested people to see it.
So, if some will post about a new sound bank in the Market place and the Instrument forum, it's only for a fleeting moment, and then all mention of the sound bank is gone. What I am saying is, there is only a very small window of opportunity to make the sond bank visible in all this intranet chaos.

My own personal use of the forums:

So far I have posted announcements about a sound bank in the developers forum, if one exists on KVR, and then the Market place, In case of there being no developer forum present here on KVR, I post in the instrument forum and the market place. And the reasons are, the four points above.

:)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Site Stuff”