Rolling synth / effect recommendations threads + sticky?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would it be worth having individual rolling "what's your favourite X" and "what's your favourite free X" threads in the synths and effects forums, with links to them in a sticky at the top?

It'd be rather useful for people who are thinking "I quite fancy branching out of freeware and trying one of these, but I don't know what's worth trying out". At the moment, searching for "compressor", say, brings up loads of threads about specific compressors and quite a lot of random short threads of general recommendations, but it'd be nice to have one big thread of compressors that you can skim through to get an idea of the perennial favourites and the more obscure stuff that a few people rave about. And to be able to find all these threads via a link in a handy sticky at the top of the effects forum.

Thoughts:
  • Which categories it'd be worth doing this for and how finely it's worth subdividine them is up for debate - "compressors" certainly, "character compressors" and "transparent compressors" maybe, "fairchild emulations" and "LA2 emulations" probably not.
  • Maybe use "cheap" (under £30 or something) instead of "free" to encourage people to support small developers
  • This wouldn't totally replace "I need an X with features A, B and C at price N" threads or be some sort of definitive canon, but would give a general idea of what people on KvR think is worth checking out.
  • Obviously it'd be nice if people said a bit about what stuff is like ("big modular VA beast" vs "simple bassline synth" for instance) to minimize the need for subdivided threads.
Just an idea. Arose because I am thinking about forking out a little for some nicer effects and have found it nontrivial to get an idea of what's worth a look without starting yet another "recommend me an EQ" thread that will conk out in a page or so.
It's a rave, Lewis!

Return to “Site Stuff”