Search for portable VST's only?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of my main problems with searching for VST plugins on kvr is that I'm only interested in portable ones. That is, ones that doesn't come with installers, write to the windows registry, or the system's application data directory.

Basically, I'm trying to keep my PC really clean, and since I use a lot of VST's, I'd like to if possible not have to run installers to get them to work if I switch to another computer. I basically only want to install my sequencer of choice, and copy the songs and the whole VST directory from this computer to the new, and have all the old songs load nicely.

To point out the importance of it, sites like portableapps.com and portablefreeware.com are getting popular because this is something a lot of people obviously want, and this is for generic software. It should be even more important for VST's which you might want to run a lot of in your music software without bloating the system.

I'm particularily interested in purchasing portable VSTi's, I know the commercial ones are usually the best ones, but I guess 1 out of 10 doesn't come with an installer, and it's kind of hard knowing which.

With most freeware plugins (and some commercial ones) you can use Universal Extractor to extract the dll file from the installer.

I also hate to install stuff, but I love some of my plugins wich unfortunately use the registry. The way I solved this is to install the plugins once (for ease of copying later I installed every plugin and their program files folder into one folder). And then open the registry editor and go to HKLM>Software (There will be folders for example like: IK Multimedia, East West, VSL, Steinberg etc. depends offcourse on wich software you have installed)

Export those folders one by one and later consolidate them into one reg file (just copy and paste them into one file with notepad) and when you copy the plugins to another PC and run the regfile all should run again (providing the stuff is iinstalled into the same location again)

With some plugins you don't even have to export the registry entries, they will be created when you first start them. The only 2 plugins in my collection wich don't work in the manner described above are EastWest Play and Steinberg Hypersonic, so I still have to install those 2 the old fashioned way.

Just learn Nsis scripting, and all programs/vst whatever will become portable, welcome to paradise (almost).
A few hours to learn that, and no more worries about registry and shit.
Well, except those which rely on pace/drivers/ilok, but who would buy those anyway ? :)

Cheers

Nicklas Nygren wrote:One of my main problems with searching for VST plugins on kvr is that I'm only interested in portable ones. That is, ones that doesn't come with installers, write to the windows registry, or the system's application data directory.

Basically, I'm trying to keep my PC really clean, and since I use a lot of VST's, I'd like to if possible not have to run installers to get them to work if I switch to another computer. I basically only want to install my sequencer of choice, and copy the songs and the whole VST directory from this computer to the new, and have all the old songs load nicely.

To point out the importance of it, sites like portableapps.com and portablefreeware.com are getting popular because this is something a lot of people obviously want, and this is for generic software. It should be even more important for VST's which you might want to run a lot of in your music software without bloating the system.

I'm particularily interested in purchasing portable VSTi's, I know the commercial ones are usually the best ones, but I guess 1 out of 10 doesn't come with an installer, and it's kind of hard knowing which.

Well, my main problem is that I'd need to spend some time to figure that out, I'm trying to wrap up a project but I need to be efficient, but I've had this same sample and vst library for so long that I figure some new sounds would boost my inspiration a little bit :)

I'm mainly after synth sounds that doesn't sound "ooh, there's a 3 osc analogue with a sawtooth and a square" or "ooh, frequency modulation", but more organic. Even a sample based sound module would do very fine. I'll happily buy for the sake of the quality, but I just can't find the portable ones :(

Got recommendations?

I really like Vember Audio Surge, it contains various oscillator types including Wavetable, FM and the VA type, you can really tweak the wavetable sound and in the forum on the vember audio website a user posted a package with about 1200 extra wavetables!

You just have to install it once and after that you can just copy the folder to a new pc or location, no need to install it again!

I completely agree with Nick here. KVR would benefit from this type of plugin distinction.

Return to “Site Stuff”