Should not "how to make electro bass" threads be moved?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
flowdesigner
KVRian
523 posts since 22 Jul, 2008

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:05 am

Hi.

Should not "how to make electro bass" threads be moved to production techniques?

Cheers

BertKoor
KVRAF
11195 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:53 am

Which one exactly?? It's a fine line between Sound Design and Production Technique...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

afreshcupofjoe
KVRAF
1838 posts since 17 Jan, 2006 from Portland, OR

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:31 am

What? Why? No.

What in the world is your reasoning?

:?
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

flowdesigner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:47 am

afreshcupofjoe wrote:What? Why? No.

What in the world is your reasoning?

:?

This is a forum originally made for software based music production tools, and creating a electro house bassline is maybe the most basic software music production technique, if that should not be in production tehniques, what should?
Sound design is originally an art concerning sound for film/ visuals, but all I ever see here is threads about deadmau5 basslines, so I hardly ,if evere look at the sound design forum no more.
Im sure Deadmau5 basslines threads is cool, but for me, it would be even cooler if they were on the production techniques on a electro house bass line sub forum.

Cheers

Kim Lajoie
KVRAF
4692 posts since 28 Jan, 2003 from In these very interwebs

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:07 am

Hello from the Production Techniques Forum!

It'll probably happen as soon as all the threads in the Production Techniques Forum about hosts and hardware and effects and finished songs are moved to their respective forums. :hihi:

Wow, having a look around there certainly are a lot of threads about basslines in this forum today. :o

-Kim.

djanthonyw
KVRAF
7095 posts since 20 Jul, 2004

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 am

Shouldn't this thread be moved to site stuff?
You are currently reading my signature.

flowdesigner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:54 am

djanthonyw wrote:Shouldn't this thread be moved to site stuff?
Yes, it definitely should...

I understand there would be overlapping between sound design and production techniques, but dsp processing like spectral morphing, originally used for science fiction sound effects, I agree should fit into the sound design forum, like other advanced synthesizer techniques, even if its used in context of electro house basslines, but side chain compression is a music production technique and should be in that forum.
I dont know what KVR strategy is with income from advertising and stuff like this, if that is why they dont have more subforums, so all the most popular/mainstreem threads is easily viewable from everywhere on the forum,lots of threads about sidechain compressed deadmau5 supersaws.

Cheers

vurt
addled muppet weed
48726 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:30 am

marlon brando wrote: Sound design is originally an art concerning sound for film/ visuals,
key word is originally, in that the term was first used for the film king kong. however if you break the question down to its constituent parts you get "how do i create this electro bass sound" which does involve some level of sound design, however basic it might be to you is not the isse, the issue is that the person is asking how to make a certain sound, if you cant answer the question then ignore it, dont assume it doesnt fit just because it doesnt fit your rather limited view of a phrase.

Nick Cenik
KVRist
46 posts since 11 Jun, 2008 from abcdef

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:35 am

I'm still experimenting with designing electro house basslines and I'm having a bit of trouble to be honest. If anyone is interested in chatting with me in real-time on here or (even better) over MSN (nicolas.oliver@hotmail.com) re: creating electro house basslines via VSTis (e.g. Massive) I'd really appreciate it! Thanks guys :)
abcdef

buscemi
KVRAF
4069 posts since 4 Mar, 2008 from Near Pittsburgh

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:44 am

It should start here, then after the kind folks that frequent Sound Design give their insight on how to program the base sound you need to fill out Form 2008_B81 ("Application to Move Post-Sound Design Pre-Production Techniques Thread Posthaste") if it is on a weekday, or the alternate 2008_B82 ("Application to Move Post-Sound Design Pre-Production Techniques Thread Posthaste - Weekend Warrior Edition") on a weekend, followed by a PM to a moderator with a mimeograph version sent via snail mail to Ben after faxing it to his Executive Assistant. Then it will be passed over to the Production Techniques assembly line where they will assess how to best get that sound into the DAW/host that corresponds to line item 17b on the form you sent (see the fine print for the form required if this is to be done with any portion of the signal path being analog). You will be notified by mail within 7-10 days if your thread needs to be moved BACK to Sound Design for further refinement which will happen on the next occurrence of the "KVR Thread Workflow Proper Placement Doohickie Script" that Ben hand-coded in his garage on that fateful day in 2001 (the day that shall be known as "The Day When Thread Management Was Sorted") which runs on the second Tuesday of every month unless KVR is in maintenance mode for any portion of that day.

It is all about proper workflow. Please PM a moderator for the proper forms to move this thread to Site Stuff.

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27381 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:49 am

marlon brando wrote: Sound design is originally an art concerning sound for film/ visuals
production was originally the supervision and management of the recording process.

nowadays, sound design also encompasses the idea of 'designing sounds', be that for film, or for synths, just as 'production' now encompasses the work that the audio engineer undertook, and producer now encompasses 'a former DJ with Ableton and some plugins'
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

flowdesigner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:54 am

Ok, I get your point.

Cheers

Meffy
Skunk Mod
20464 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:00 am

marlon brando wrote:Should not "how to make electro bass" threads be moved to production techniques?
The passive mode conceals many assumptions. Will the threads move themselves? Or are you volunteering the moderators' time to police this as well as spammers, rules abuse, and so forth?

I think its fine as things stand, slightly disorganized but frankly KVR doesn't strike me as a neatnik's natural habitat. If you think a particular thread is seriously off topic for a forum, just let a mod know via PM. We can't be everywhere at once, even with our luxurious moderator salaries and free use of the KVR yacht and Learjet. But with your help we can get more done (witness the spam reporting thread).

flowdesigner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:10 am

Meffy wrote:
marlon brando wrote:Should not "how to make electro bass" threads be moved to production techniques?
The passive mode conceals many assumptions. Will the threads move themselves? Or are you volunteering the moderators' time to police this as well as spammers, rules abuse, and so forth?

I think its fine as things stand, slightly disorganized but frankly KVR doesn't strike me as a neatnik's natural habitat. If you think a particular thread is seriously off topic for a forum, just let a mod know via PM. We can't be everywhere at once, even with our luxurious moderator salaries and free use of the KVR yacht and Learjet. But with your help we can get more done (witness the spam reporting thread).

Sure, I was meaning the passive mode, in a wider/more detailed option of subforums available in the first place, so people like me browsing KVR could more effectively filter out what is interesting for me.The KVR yacht thing sounds cool btw.

Meffy
Skunk Mod
20464 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:20 am

The array of forums looks pretty good to me for the most part but there are a few areas that are a little messy. That's way outside my bailiwick though. AFAIK Ben's the only one who can add, remove, or alter forums.

If I took baths instead of showers I'd get more use out of the KVR yacht.

*wavewave* Gone for a few hours.

Return to “Site Stuff”