Went wide screen, lost sidebar position

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IE6
I just moved from a 4:3 17" CRT to 16:9 32" LCD TV. The old monitor displayed the sidebars properly, but the switch caused everything to be stacked. I tried KVR's resolution tweaks. No change. What am I missing?

Proper drivers? Im using widescreen here - no issues.

No drivers to install. This is a Sharp TV I'm using as a monitor. I'm not having problems anywhere else. I think my problem is site specific.

[later] I just noticed there's an entry in Music Tracker with an overly long title. That used to affect sidebar placement with my old monitor. I wonder if that has something to do with this?
Last edited by d4l3d on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

What's your display's resolution in pixels? I see you have IE6. Have you tried any other browsers? What's your OS and version? I doubt I can figure out what's wrong but the more info the better.

I had to adjust my Sony widescreen (via menus) to view pixel mode properly when used with a pc.

1360x768. No other browsers installed. XP SP2 v6.0.2900.2180

Ultra, All that was done earlier. I've been surfing for hours in wide screen without incident until here.
Last edited by d4l3d on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looks sufficient. *shrug* If messing with the TV's menus as UltraJv mentioned won't fix it, I'd recommend at least trying out Firefox, Opera, or some other browser. You can always remove it if you don't like it, and who knows? You might find a new favorite.

Let's face it, since the last "update" KVR doesn't resize properly anymore. I don't remember exactly which machine I was on, but recently I just had a horrible KVR experience, vertical scroll bars all over the place, when it would just resize fine in it's earlier incarnation. Guess that's something we have to live with forever, just as the completely broken search function (which actually has NEVER been working, pretty much the reason why I never told someone to use it before asking questions). There's been a huge thread about the new "KVR browser experience" and most people have been annoyed with it, yet not much has been changed. Seems to be in favour of whatever ads placed here and there.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

I just found it odd that the site worked scrunched down to 4:3 and now that I've got the real estate ...

My replies aren't fast enough and are getting out of sequence with your help.

SF, thanks. I got that impression from my searchs (such as they were). I guess time will tell for me.

I use Vista for browsing. Most Vista Drivers are optimised for recent video content for some reason they dont do the same on XP. I found this out when trying to play hi def on XP on my media pc. It looked awful. I went to Vista and it was fine.

Thanks UltraJv. Vista was not high on my list even when this "deal of the century" came along. It's pushed down even further now that I've spent money I shouldn't for this billboard. I didn't expect to be chasing down solutions to unforseen problems by throwing more more money at them. Foolish me.

Just got back on to KVR and the news page is back the way it should be. Evidently, I was right about that Music Tracker sidebar entry whose title extended beyond the right-hand edge of it's background. Once that passed, everything snapped in place.

I was too willing to believe it was this new monitor. Just a bad coincidence.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Ok you make me sick. 32 inch LCD must look nuts. I thought I was the man with my measly 23 lcd. Seriously though, I gotta ask how far away is the screen from your face? Doesnt it strain your eyes at all? I'd ask you to post a screen shot but I'd be scrolling for half an hour ;).
stay juicy!

similar thing happened to me. logged on from work, as usual... :hihi:

"latest posts" column was on the left hand side, underneath the main forum blather. it was a work pc, so i'd changed nothing (because i "lack privileges") and nothing had been changed (because IT never do anything) but the display of kvr went all wonky.

My face is about 3' away. I've got the room and the surrounding arrangement to make that possible.
Spent most of the day yesterday experimenting with the settings. It wasn't bad when I first turned it on but now it seems (so far) almost as true and mild as my old CRT. Glad to be away from the radiation.
There are a few minor viewing compromises here and there, obviously, but after a day living with them they kind of fade into the background.

Don't be jealous. I was facing the imminent demise of both my analog TV and the CRT. I thought this was a good time to make one purchase to deal with both. i'm in an efficiency apt. so almost everything here is multi-purpose.

Return to “Site Stuff”