Question about "Using ASDR Envelopes With Synthesizers"

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The article states: "The Release controls how long a sound takes to get back to silence after a user releases the note. A Piano has a long release parameter set because it takes a long time for the sound to actually get silent." Is this correct? Once a key on a piano is released, the sound goes to silence almost instantly. I'm trying to understand ASDR. If I understand it correctly, a piano has a fast attack, no sustain (because the sound decrecendos immediately after the note is played), a fairly long decay, and a very short release. Am I correct? If not, then can someone explain ASDR?

Thanks!

Yes, you are correct :). The article has some errors indeed (link). I might try to correct it later; I'm not very good with English though.

gsoto, nevertheless, your article was very informative and helpful.

Mike

Oh, it's not mine, actually. :D

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
i agree with you on the "piano amp env". btw: i have NEVER heard of an "ASDR" envelope. i guess what the wiki-article meant to talk about was ADSR and not ASDR.
The D stands for Decay. When a player hits a note on a keyboard the Attack happens first, then the Sustain. If the player holds down the note long enough the Decay parameter will kick in.
i mean that's just wrong, wtf. decay kicks in directly after the attack till the sustain value is reached. and the sustain value will NOT drop over time, another thing the article states:
The S stands for Sustain. This controls how long the peak volume of a sound is held.
that also is just plain wrong. the sustain is not about "how long", but about "how loud" (in the amp-env example...). the amount of time the sustain value is held is completely independent from the sustain value itself and only determined by how long the user presses the key.

whoa, srsly, but an article about 4 (easy to understand) parameters which is factual misinformed about 2 (!) of these parameters is really misleading, wrong and i imagine really confusing for people who want to learn about ADSR envelopes. i would say in its current form the article can't stay online.

and btw: the "normal" wiki article about adsr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSR) is actually quite sufficient.

(sry for my destructive critic :( )
>_>

Agreed. In it's current state I think the article is more harmful than helpful. I also dislike the "spammy" feeling, with all the links. Also, there're already articles about envelopes and ADSR.
But I'm afraid that it may be a little harsh to delete it, so I'll try to contact the author.

EDIT: I wrote a note at the top of the article in the meantime.

gsoto wrote:Agreed. In it's current state I think the article is more harmful than helpful. I also dislike the "spammy" feeling, with all the links. Also, there're already articles about envelopes and ADSR.
I've removed some of the spamminess, but kept one link to Traxmusic, since I think that is fair.

Note though, this is a tutorial, not regular Wiki entry, so it's meant to be different than the entries for ADSR and envelopes.

I'm aware of that. The article is perfectly valid; the only thing is that it repeats some basic stuff and maybe it would be better to link to the other articles instead.
I'm writing a PM to the author.

gsoto wrote:I'm writing a PM to the author.
Sure. A friendly gesture, but I don't think a necessity.

You could just revise it as you see fit. It isn't a Wiki for nothing.

Return to “Site Stuff”