New site design and usability: good or bad

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?

Is the new design an improvent?

it looks worse and represents a drawback in usability
46%
it looks worse but adds to usability
3%
it looks better but is worse in terms of usability
21%
it in all terms an improvement
21%
I don't care
8%

Total votes: 118

RELATED
PRODUCTS

well I don't really like it, the news items have too much white, they don't tell you if you're reading about a host, instrument or effect (like they did until recently), and when I click on the "read more" in IE6 I have time to go away and make a cup of coffee before the news item loads on the page :(
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

I agree the text in News should be black, and not grey.
I Music.

I try to like it, because I really appreciate all the hard work that Ben has poured into this great site, but I prefer how it worked before.

I don't understand why Quick Reply is hidden; if you have to click to start quick-replying, then you might as well go to the full advanced reply. It feels more like it's there to "look cool" with the new technology than any useful purpose.

Something I liked to do sometimes was tile windows in Opera, so I could monitor something while keeping an eye on KVR, or to help with complex quoting replies; now if I try that and apply "fixed width" so I can see all the text, it looks messed up; the menus up top start stacking vertically.

The expanding News items are sluggish and not terribly convenient. You have to open these just to get to the links. Another few mouse clicks - more wrist-fun!

I don't know; I'm not sold on all this new bloggy technology. But I vaguely recall being indignant with the last changes, so I'm sure I'll grow to love it, just like my new EQ...

The old color scheme is great, and I like the forum/news centered, instead of keeled to the left. Please stop tinkering with purrfection! 8) But then I always took it for granted, and never volunteered a compliment about the beauty and functionality of my favourite website! :oops:

I don't know if this is related with the new skin, but I find the site more faster now!
I like this look.

Surely, the ad pannel could be more stacked to the right! (please) ;-)

Having to click for "quick reply" certainly isn't as quick as before.

They fixed something that wasn't broken. Somebody forgot how much information is contained here, and how important it is not to have too much of that information all migrate around at the same time.

That said, I haven't investigated the tweaking options, so I'm off to do that now. Maybe I'll change my mind. :)
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

I still think it's an abomination. It looks off and I seem to have to scroll horizonally everywhere now. The amount of threads rendered unreadable by wide images has increased by about 1000 per cent.
Also, I still miss having something to the left of the forum.
Even when you factor in the novelty, it still takes much longer to get used to this than with past changes.

Marco :eek:

with my width adjusted in firefox, kvr looks like this
:D
quick reply opens instantly for me as does quick links. however, i vote for a mouse over quick links if that's possible
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

my only complaint is when using the normal reply page, like for replying with quote, my typing winds up jumbled until the page loads
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

I'm not fussed about the change in layout, it's alright. What really annoys me is the stupid login popup window, which disappears every time I move the mouse :x It only takes a few extra seconds, but having to login twice is a pain in the arse.
Coffee please, black, no sugar.

Full reply-to boxes are too large in firefox and you can't see your cursor or move the cursor around using the keyboard... annoying. You would've thought this would've been fixed by now, with firefox being a standards-compliant browser and all.

I think it's an all around improvement - a nice "refurbishment" with not too much subsequent disorientation.

I'm surprised people are complaining about adverts though - I've got so use to advertising on sites that I don't even ignore them now - I don't even notice them any more.

:)

I like it.. except the flip down login box, I'm on firefox.. and for some reason the password save feature saves the relevant info.. but it's only inputed into the box as soon as i hit the first letter of my username - anyways means i have to flip the box down twice.. nothing major lol

edit - what dry bones said..
Last edited by syncopated_silence on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

What can I say? I'm getting used to it, kinda like it now, especially as he keeps responding to popular complaints. I see the "Want the Quick Reply to be visible permanently?" down below for Quick Reply; that's awesome!

Pictures still format strangely, though, and stick out past the "Latest" bars on the side.

Return to “Site Stuff”