New site design and usability: good or bad

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?

Is the new design an improvent?

it looks worse and represents a drawback in usability
46%
it looks worse but adds to usability
3%
it looks better but is worse in terms of usability
21%
it in all terms an improvement
21%
I don't care
8%

Total votes: 118

RELATED
PRODUCTS

The new design really makes live harder for me. you have to klick to get the quick jump dialog and in the drop down menus I cannot scroll. why did you have to change a working system into one which imo does not look better but has issues and makes the user to have to click more? But waht is your opinion: please vote

ps: I hate this ajax stuff which does not add to usability but just slows down everything

Bigger&better focus for the news section.
More advertisement. It happens to most popular pages over time.
The synth reviews are hidden at the bottom of the page.
Less focus on the forum, because it is below the advertisment, and becuase of that only the 2 first posts are visible on my monitor.

For me the biggest change is more advertisment.

Yep, I find it a pain to use atm, tho' I dare say I'll get used to it, but I still think it's a backward step.
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

It can be a real pain where there's large images (such as in theGladiator thread). There, the latest posts, etc. sidebar is superimposed over the thread itself, and you can't read parts of it because of that :(

ew
A spectral heretic...

I have my monitor's resolution set to 1024 by 768, and I can't use the scroll bar for the "Quick Links" because it extends off screen to the right of the window. In order to access it, I must click the "Restore Down" button (upper right corner of the window, between the "Minimize" and "Close" buttons) and then drag the window to the left about 1 inch. Other than that, I find the new site design somewhat cluttered, but generally and improvement as far as usability is concerned.

Baxter
Last edited by Baxter on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think you try to do too much with the UI and fail to realize that not everyone is running a supercomputer with a widescreen monitor.

There is too much information on the screen. Too many flashing adverts (particularly horizontal and vertical together - very distracting) and the UI is slow or sluggish.

The Google ads (visually) merge into the latest posts and slow down perception speed. I have to check more before I waste the energy to click (more).

I have to scroll a lot to get to the information I want.

Usability first, style second (now where are those f****** smilies?) :wink:

And my wife (who is colour blind) says: "TOO many colours".

Voted "looks worse but adds to usability", as I think it's visually overloaded and somewhat tiresome to the eye, but introduces one feature that's useful to me - the red user dropdown menu option of going straight to my latest posts (and not through the profile like it used to be).
the the impotence of proofreading

Space Boy wrote:I think you try to do too much with the UI and fail to realize that not everyone is running a supercomputer with a widescreen monitor.
It's tweakable: http://www.kvraudio.com/ma.php?m=forumresolution

I like the new design. Some things I would do a little differently, but overall I like it much more than the old design.
I Music.

I've grown accustomed to it for the most part. I wouldn't have done some of the things they've done, but then, it isn't my website, so it all works out.

I didn't vote but wanted to say tht I like it better than the old design. Animated adverts are always irritating but we must accept that as part of a commercial site. I run 1024x768 and it all fits on the screen with room to spare (horizontally). My machine is fairly old and my connection is only average but all runs quickly on the site. I don't have any problems scrolling down using mouse wheel. I like the new menus too, they make accessing most sections quicker. Some people just don't like change, I personally like it.

Meffy wrote:
Space Boy wrote:I think you try to do too much with the UI and fail to realize that not everyone is running a supercomputer with a widescreen monitor.
It's tweakable: http://www.kvraudio.com/ma.php?m=forumresolution
Thanks for that...

Now where's the button that lets me tweak out the sluggish update behavior? :)

Old was better. This is slower and other things.

ew wrote:It can be a real pain where there's large images (such as in theGladiator thread). There, the latest posts, etc. sidebar is superimposed over the thread itself, and you can't read parts of it because of that :(

ew
It looks fine here. I use the default width and I like the whole new design a lot. :D I have nothing problem with it, neither with the usability.

ugh. it's aweful. I haven't been here for a while. first impression is that I am completely lost. There is a irrelevant stuff everywhere. :(

Return to “Site Stuff”