New forum layout!

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The design is okay, but reading the forums is difficult for me. I'm getting a width of only 570px for discussion text which is really way too narrow for my liking. Almost every forum that I use allots a width of 890px for reading the posts/threads. That is more than 50% wider.

I'm sorry, but the more I see of the new layout the worse it gets, it's f#cking horrible. If whoever is responsible for it thinks it's an improvement, they really need to get their eyes tested asap.........
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

we're just too used to having text in html presented in the center of the screen. imagine a book with the text centered? that wouldnt make much sense. in a book you have instead the test left or right justified based upon which side of the page you're looking at.

since a monitor does not have a binding and only one side is visible, centered blocks of text seem to make sense. they do not really serve any specific purpose or benefit however and they're actually quite wasteful in terms of the space used.

the user menu (red, right side) is lop-sided however and it is the only justification i can see in the layout for having both bars on the right-hand size. the advertisements should be moved back over to the left and we'll have essentially the same layout we had before.

herodotus wrote:If I were Ben I would just cut out everything and do it Craigslist style.

Now wouldn't that be fun.

:hihi:
:lol: 8)
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

Now that i've been able to set the default width to make it a little wider it's definitely better.

sluggo wrote:The design is okay, but reading the forums is difficult for me. I'm getting a width of only 570px for discussion text which is really way too narrow for my liking. Almost every forum that I use allots a width of 890px for reading the posts/threads. That is more than 50% wider.
Go to your members area, anything except profile. You probably have to zoom out to see the "Forum Screen Resolution Tweak" link top right near "latest topics". Click it and adjust width to taste. Works for me and fixed the overlap issues.

(I still think that the blue background is too saturated... :D )

werner
Last edited by dreamkeeper on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Has someone already mentioned that the new layout sucks? :roll:

I really like it.. its very slick. especiially when I make my size bigger
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

It's perfectly fine once you can change the width, though it always takes a while to get used to used to something new, and everybody will bitch and complain until they are used to it :shrug:

We shouldn't weigh the pros and cons of the new layout so much as send a resounding 'No' to Ben!

Support the cause, sign the petition :hihi:

Honestly though, I so want the previous scheme back! This is so wrong.
I've seen a few site changes in my KvR-time (2002) and never has it resulted in such a long thread full of discussion/whining.

This is the third time I'm posting more or less the same message in this thread, I'll shut up now, honest :scared:

A suggestion:

Put the "latest reviews" and "latest additions in plug-in database" behind a menu somewhere, move the "Latest posts" to the right and make more room for the forum that way.

The forum resolution tweak does make life somewhat easier, though. With that it's already half as good as the original layout.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

dreamkeeper wrote: Go to your members area, anything except profile. You probably have to zoom out to see the "Forum Screen Resolution Tweak" link top right near "latest topics". Click it and adjust width to taste. Works for me and fixed the overlap issues.
That's it, thanks man. :tu:
Neat, finally i won't need my magnifying glass anymore.
All perfect now. :)
FACT: ‘In the past 50 years, one-third of the world’s rainforests have been lost’.

Yeah, with the width tweak, it's pretty cool again. I still end up on random pages when hovering over the red drop down menu. And I'm still getting flashing ghosts of the ads that appear on the right hand side, on the left hand side (like Komplete and Rain Recording). Overall, not bad though.

Ah, cool, a tweak button. Thanks! That's pretty cool. :)
I Music.

This screen is the most esthetically pleasing page now :?

L

Return to “Site Stuff”