math-formulas in forum posts

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dear admins,

in the dsp-forum, we sometimes have the need for mathematical formulas and often resort to some ugly and kludgy pseudo-code or pseudo-latex notation in these cases. so i wonder, how hard it would be, incoorparate some kind of latex interpreter into the forum - it seems to be possible in general, as you see here: http://www.sosmath.com/CBB/viewtopic.php?t=32490

i don't really have a clue about cgi-scripting - so sorry, if i'm asking too much.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

How about Texify? http://texify.com/ You give it LaTeX code, it gives you a .gif that you can link to as is, or save (under a shorter filename!), host, and display. Not perfect but it's a start.

Nope, the .gifs made by texify are transparent and that doesn't work on KVR's dark backgrounds. Maybe a screenshot, then cut out the part you want and host that so you can display it in a post.

Straight from their server:

From a screenshot:

Meffy wrote:Straight from their server:
Download from texify & invert:

But making your own occasionally isn't that difficult

(But then again, some mathml-like implementation would still be sweet)

Invert: That looks better than on a white card.
Making your own: Using what, LaTeX itself? I love it but it's a lot to install and learn just to make diagrams.

TEST:

ah, yes. i see what you mean. damn. but it goes into the right direction

Meffy wrote:it's a lot to install and learn just to make diagrams.
Fair enough...

If you're going the screenshot route, you could use texaide - you'd have access to even uglier fonts than what texify gives you

Theoretically it shouldn't be that hard to make php do TeX stuff, but as the server is a bit overloaded already I guess it wouldn't be such a great plan...

Comic Sans, whuff... anywhere but in comics or a kid's page... yeah, your summation dots the integral well.

This google thingy looks nice and can be embedded in the post page, renders with a white background:
you can download the image and then put it up at imageshack

It's certainly not going to be high on my list but I'll bear it in mind!

TEST2:

aha, yeah - that's better. maybe not ideal, but acceptable.

There's PHP source code for a decent LaTeX renderer at http://test.izyba.com/equationeditor/equationeditor.php (link is at the bottom).
Karel Bassez
Software Engineer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH

Here's a quick'n'dirty greasemonkey script that adds it to the posting page

Hm, that Greasemonkey thing is clientside? Hardly ideal. Also I'm using Internet Explorer so not much use to me (and many others).
Karel Bassez
Software Engineer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH

Return to “Site Stuff”