KVR Radio Suggestion-What do you think?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an idea for a radio. I know there is already something like this in place, but I think it could catch on.

Maybe it could be sponsored by Image-Line Deckadance or something? And there could be short commercials. Receptor commercials for example. Or Native Instruments Reaktor 6 maybe? With option to pay by Plugin Donation for the listener(s).

Anyway, a bunch of people are needed. Mostly musicians. So the musicians submit their music for the radio. The artist and the tune is mentioned by the DJ (who uses Deckadance by the way). The DJ is in charge of tune selection, and the radio show broadcast. It's his show!!!

The most important part is the listeners! How do you attract them so that they tune into the show? The listeners are there while browsing the internet. Hoping that they would listen to some good music and maybe even win something. Would that work? What do you think?

Anyway, for these things to work you need to create a win-win situation. KVR could generate money and broaden its scope if this thing catches on. Companies who are providing the commercial material could advertise their products (for cheap?). Musicians could get their music heard. And finally, listeners could listen to some good music and maybe even win something.

What do you think?

I think yer a genius e-entrepeneur!
There are details to work out, but I think it could float.
First the DC, now this - seriously tuz, if you go corporate one day, I want in on the ipo. remember the little people posting anonomously about ridiculous stuff when you get there.

As for listeners. Maybe the blogger here can chime in, with the referrals, etc. If you could wrangle a spot on the pages mentioned in the survey alone, it would be a great start. I would imagine it would be nice to have people brag that their stuff was played.
If there were a little icon people could put on any page that would start the streaming, it would be cool.

hmmm....<strokes chin menancingly>...

I'm in as a muso and I'd like to make the logo if and when it comes to that! :D

Are you sure a DJ is required? Couldn't something a bit more.... Say... Last.FM'ish work? People could add their music, listeners could pick different tunes for "listen to similar music", or listen to the most popular tracks, or artists etc.

Commercials could still be there (just randomized in between tunes by the music server) if you want this to be a, uhm, commercial endeavour :)
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

the thing about an actual DJ is it's a unique selling point. Last-FM type stuff and endless playlists on itunes are a bit of a staple these days. let's have us our goodl old radio back!

Marco :)

hey tuz, I have a great idea. But it is a secret . I cannot post it here for fear of my great idea being stolen and appropriated by the powers of evil. seriously though, pm if interested.
..what goes around comes around..

Bonteburg: is it really an _unique_ selling point? :) And I honestly think one would end up with way less listeners with just one station instead of a user-driven system with customizable radio. I for instance would listen to the latter, but not the former. But I might be alone here on kvr in how I prefer to listen to music, people do it in all kinds of weird ways! :) That goes for other things to...
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

ok, here's my idea, Ben. My thinking is as follows:

The big problem with the internet radio channel is the advertising, getting the word out. Since there are already some in-roads with ComputerMusic magazine and the DevChallenge, what if CM was approached as partners for a radio channel? They get boatloads of submissions for their "what's wrong with my mix" segment, but only a few make it in. If KVR had a radio station, CM could play all their worthy submissions and advertise in print that every submission, not just the printed ones, would get play on the station. That way, the kvr station would be advertised, even monthly, for free (key point of the agreement :HiHi: )in CM, and it might attract more radio spots since KVr could then boast of .
It could be all plugin radio :)

Some further details:
-some sort of license (CC?) that would permit the kvr station to play the music, but not own it.
-whoever dj's or determines playlist might want the submissions ~month ahead of time and publish the lists - so people could follow when their track was played. CM might even print it up each month!
-obviously KVR would contribute music. Just not me.
-CM might want to pre-screen stuff so their name is not besmirched.
-if all went well, it would be an incentive to CM as they could advertise an outlet that all the hip A&R people covertly listen to for fresh sounds...
-Why would CM want to share this with KVR? Well, if it was constructed for free by the KVR Collective then CM gets free advertising online (The forum here is larger, I believe) with no added overhead. It's something that might actually increase their sales. It's (you knew it was coming....) a "win-win" situation! HiHi
-if it really took off, then we could actually solicit dj's to show their stuff too, all the while selling parcels of ad time to companies like Imageline. Maybe one day, even FM or REMIX might get jealous and want in.
-I don't know what streaming servers cost, but bandwidth might be the biggest problem, probably.
-a sweet little icon that everyone could put on their personal pages could be cool, maybe even a flash player? I was thinking digg-like. Once word got out I have to imagine that it would get covered by all the usual suspect music pages.

so there is my top secret idea :lol:
I'm kind of surprised the print labels haven't done this sooner.

p.s., I can help with all the 4-bar loops you need.

I was just thinking of the same idea right now so I googled to see if someone's suggested this at KVR, or if something's already running. I thought a lot of good music are posted each week, not to mention contest submissions. We could really make a radio out of this. I have a flash app that may be up for the task. We can also do a semi-live broadcast with it-- record and broadcast - sort of manner (3 to five minutes delayed depending on the 'live' cut). It can also handle custom playlists and hard-queue/override broadcasting. My app is running for freethegospel radio: http://freethegospel.org/radio if you want to check it out. We have semi-live programs every once in a while.

The good thing about a streaming flash player vs. media player playlists is that we can put a lot of branding on to the player itself. It's easy to skin and we can add animation to it. :)

Return to “Site Stuff”