Music Styles

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do we need really definitions of music styles in the Wiki? I find them pretty arbitrary, to be honest, but my main thought is that

(a) there's already plenty of places with definitions out there
(b) there are so many subcategories of some things that I suspect they would 'clog up' the wiki
(c) they're not really relevant to KVR's focus

Thoughts? Ben?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I'm not Ben, but I agree. With the possible exception being 'ambibollox'...

The Wiki's pretty big, room enough for anything music/audio related, no? Personally I think it would be useful and instructive. Although I'm in favour of not having separate sub-genre entries. For instance, trance could be there (which really is a subgenre anyway, but I can concede within limit), but psy, goa, happy, yada, would all be only contained within the master genre page.

shamann wrote: Although I'm in favour of not having separate sub-genre entries. For instance, trance could be there (which really is a subgenre anyway, but I can concede within limit), but psy, goa, happy, yada, would all be only contained within the master genre page.
Sort of my point; isnt trance a subgenre in the first place?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Sure, but it's still broad enough to house a bunch of subdivisions that it would be useful as its own thing to those seeking the info. But I can see your point that it might be endless (then again Wiki resources are technically endless).

But, I think a big part of the Wiki's utility will be to answer all the "what synth for crunk" type of questions rather than having endless threads of all old questions. So the idea of music styles will have to fit in there somehow at some point.

DELETED

Can't we just link to Ishkur's magnificant guide to genres and let people decide for themselves? :hihi:
Rakkervoksen

I hadn't really thought about it. I don't personally have a problem with it, although definitions of musical terms are very subjective.

I'm not sure what the policy should be. Maybe we should get a few of these issues together and do a poll (other issues being including hardware synths, dsp cards, soft synths, other software, etc.)

Return to “Site Stuff”