Tutorials?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
shamann
KVRAF
12245 posts since 18 Aug, 2003

Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:54 pm

Right now a lot of what's going in to the Wiki is reference material and definitions.

How would we go about creating a tutorial article? For example all those posts on how to get the Benassi sound. Saw someone post one the other day in the Production Technique forum on writing a trance bassline. Or things like how to write a convincing jazz chord progression.

That sort of stuff might not be obvious in an A-Z single term format. Should we tag the title with [Tutorial] or something?

pljones
KVRAF
6580 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:52 am

How about "HowTo: {product here}: {technique here}" as the title? I hoping to do some write ups on CMuzys and MIDI OX that would fall under the "tutorial" concept.

Ben [KVR]
Mr KVR
1306 posts since 23 Oct, 2000 from Newport Pagnell, UK
KVR Audio

Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:57 am

The real tutorial section at KVR is crap so I'll remove that (or redirect the link to the new--->) and I've made a new Tutorials section link in the left nav of the KVRwiki.

This could be a great section!

Bunnyboy
KVRAF
2321 posts since 23 Mar, 2004 from Two lower than LS6

Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:11 am

Yay!!

This will be excellent!!

I am not too au-fait with wiki software - for tutorials, will it be the case that the wiki page for such-and-such a technique appear to be a discussion as a how-to, or will it just be the case of people amending, changing, and updating what has been written before? Might be good if usernames are placed next to the advice at the start/end of the text??
Phil

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake
*No more band for me* | **My Host**

shamann
KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:06 am

People write such great instructional material so often here in the forums, it will be great to have them saved and highlighted for posterity in the Wiki.

To my shame, I'd forgotten that there was a tutorial section here.

shamann
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:27 am

So I've added the first tutorial, which is a drone tutorial I wrote a while back in response to a technique question. It references audio files which are on my website.

Is there a way to upload audio files for such material here at KVR like we can picture files? I don't mind hosting the files, since they'll be on my site any way, but I ask just in case my webspace ever goes 404.

vonkow
KVRer
27 posts since 22 Sep, 2005 from Upper Cali

Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:53 pm

I second that audio storage space request. I put up a few basic waveforms and Subtractive, FM and AM examples (feel free to replace with better ones), but the server its on has limited traffic. Is there any way to upload them like pictures perhapse?

Ben [KVR]
Mr KVR
1306 posts since 23 Oct, 2000 from Newport Pagnell, UK
KVR Audio

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:07 am

MP3 and WAV support is now available via the "Attachments" link at the foot of each page.

Files can be up to 512 Kb.

patinacreme
KVRer
1 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Thu May 18, 2006 7:42 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Can we post links to off site Tutorials?
ex
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/pdf/tuto ... sphere.pdf (http://www.computermusic.co.uk/pdf/tutorials/atomsphere.pdf)

Muff Wiggler
KVRAF
2107 posts since 12 May, 2003 from gone

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:17 pm

ah i forgot about this forum completely haha

i wrote a tutorial a while ago, shamann helped clean it up and put it in the right section

and wow it's had over 1000 hits!!

NPerez
KVRist
109 posts since 15 Sep, 2004 from New Jersey

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:56 am

awesome idea, thanks for adding it :)

This may be a little ambitious, but what I'd love to see is a nice little track accompanied by a 'making-of' tutorial that explains the whole process from the ground up. It'd be useful for beginners and veterans alike. I'd do it, but unfortunately my tracks aren't exactly well-done :?

Andywanders
KVRAF
2603 posts since 3 Aug, 2003 from Narnia

Post Thu May 03, 2007 10:35 pm

So how do I place a tutorial in the wiki..?

flippya2000
KVRian
740 posts since 27 Sep, 2005 from UK

Post Fri May 04, 2007 2:23 am

Andywanders wrote:So how do I place a tutorial in the wiki..?
AFAIK, join here:-

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/groupcp.php?g=80353

Then add your tutorial/s :)

Andywanders
KVRAF
2603 posts since 3 Aug, 2003 from Narnia

Post Sun May 06, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Already a member of the Wiki group, just don't know how to add a tutorial.

There's no info anywhere. I go to 'Wiki - Tutorials' but there's no 'Add tutorial' button, or any instructions on how to add one.

So, how does one add a tutorial..?

Cheers

flippya2000
KVRian
740 posts since 27 Sep, 2005 from UK

Post Mon May 07, 2007 3:14 am

Probably best to go to the link I posted & then PM the Group Moderator Ben [KVR] - I haven't joined/added tutorials, so don't know, but perhaps Ben could answer u..

Return to “Site Stuff”