Style Guide

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it worthwhile creating a set of style guides for entries? Otherwise we're going to wind up with quite a scrappy-looking

I'd suggest the distortion entry as an example to work from, but I think certain other types of page might be usefully unified because of the commonality they'll have eg

acronyms
synthesis methods
processing methods
terminology
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

DELETED

Yes, I agree that we should lay down some guidelines.

I've created a home for it at http://www.kvraudio.com/wiki/?id=KVRwikiStyleGuide

I agree about the Distortion page looking good. whyterabbyt, feel free to define the formatting guidelines if you want to. Once they are worked out I'll add a link to the left nav menu in the wiki.

I think a new rule is going to be that plug-ins / hosts shouldn't have a dedicated page in the wiki as they already have a dedicated database page here at KVR. They should only be mentioned in other articles with their names linking either to their KVR page or their official home page. With this in mind I'm going to remove the Reaktor and energyXT pages that have been added. I'll add this info to the rules too.

BTW I've made the KVRwiki front page read-only to all except me as I want to maintain control over the landing page. If we need to add anything extra on there I'll do it.

Perhaps below the AudioLexicon we could have some quick links to the sections you suggest.

I'll try and knock something up. How do you want them done, Ben. You've got a KVRwikiStyleGuide page, but do we want multiple styles (eg KVRwikiStyleGuideforAcronyms), or just one generic one?

And another thought: once a set of style guides has been suitably fleshed out, is it worthwhile locking?
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

Ben [KVR] wrote:I think a new rule is going to be that plug-ins / hosts shouldn't have a dedicated page in the wiki as they already have a dedicated database page here at KVR. They should only be mentioned in other articles with their names linking either to their KVR page or their official home page. With this in mind I'm going to remove the Reaktor and energyXT pages that have been added. I'll add this info to the rules too.
Sounds fine. So if I want to write up a page on "sfz format", I'd have a link to SFZ's home page, rather than a wiki entry for it - but the page on "sfz format" itself would be fine (as it's implemented in a number of plugins).

whyterabbyt wrote:I'll try and knock something up. How do you want them done, Ben. You've got a KVRwikiStyleGuide page, but do we want multiple styles (eg KVRwikiStyleGuideforAcronyms), or just one generic one?

And another thought: once a set of style guides has been suitably fleshed out, is it worthwhile locking?
Probably just one guide I guess.

I'll lock it once its sorted.

pljones wrote:
Ben [KVR] wrote:I think a new rule is going to be that plug-ins / hosts shouldn't have a dedicated page in the wiki as they already have a dedicated database page here at KVR. They should only be mentioned in other articles with their names linking either to their KVR page or their official home page. With this in mind I'm going to remove the Reaktor and energyXT pages that have been added. I'll add this info to the rules too.
Sounds fine. So if I want to write up a page on "sfz format", I'd have a link to SFZ's home page, rather than a wiki entry for it - but the page on "sfz format" itself would be fine (as it's implemented in a number of plugins).
Yup.

whyterabbyt wrote:Is it worthwhile creating a set of style guides for entries? Otherwise we're going to wind up with quite a scrappy-looking
Having created, used and administered style guides for journals and magazines, I can highly recommend doing this for the benefit of readers. Consistency of acronyms and terms really helps minimize confusion and aids comprehension. Style guides can be sort of subjective, though, so agreement among those creating it is helpful in sorting things out.

Or are you referring to appearance rather than content?
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

On a vaguely related note - I've made "application developer" a WikiWord on the LADSPA page (which, when I'm more sober, I'll probably migrate to match DAW/AU/DSP/etc). The idea was that maybe we'd want to explain to people what an Audio(/DAW/plugin/etc) application developer does and provide links to useful resources. Does that idea go beyond the scope of the Wiki, though?

eduardo_b wrote:
Or are you referring to appearance rather than content?

Both, really. As much consistency as possible.

I've added an Acronyms section in the left nav of the Wiki. I could add other "major" section headings here too, such as Synthesis and Processing methods, etc. What do you think?

I'm not convinced we need the Acronyms section though, don't you think it is duplication of the AudioLexicon?

pljones wrote:On a vaguely related note - I've made "application developer" a WikiWord on the LADSPA page (which, when I'm more sober, I'll probably migrate to match DAW/AU/DSP/etc). The idea was that maybe we'd want to explain to people what an Audio(/DAW/plugin/etc) application developer does and provide links to useful resources. Does that idea go beyond the scope of the Wiki, though?
Not all. Anything like this is most welcome. KVR can be a fairly technical place IMO.

Return to “Site Stuff”