[Flexoid] Osc phase sync (free vs. note on)

Official support for: chriskerry.f9.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When creating my supersaw patch I noticed the 7 waves of Osc B needed some time to get out of phase in free mode. (To workaround this I made a slightly longer attack and used some drift amount).

I assume the initial phase is set to zero also in free mode?

A fix would be to set them to random phase on startup.

Chris

Chris-S wrote:When creating my supersaw patch I noticed the 7 waves of Osc B needed some time to get out of phase in free mode. (To workaround this I made a slightly longer attack and used some drift amount).
I assume the initial phase is set to zero also in free mode?
A fix would be to set them to random phase on startup.
Chris
At Start/Loading everything is "zero'd" inside the VST, so when you play using 'Free' mode the oscillators use the last phase position it was at previously. In Free mode there is no 'sync' signal sent to the oscillators.

The problem with randomising the Phases is that it can change the sound/tonality in a detrimental way - phase cancellation etc. I found that people preferred consistency in the first note and accepted variance in subsequent notes. So maybe a halfway solution would be to stagger the phases.

But changing from the current mode will affect All existing presets, maybe subtle or not.

I will do some tests....

Hi Chris,
I could also live with staggering the initial phases in free mode. :)

(wave 1 = 0°, wave 2 = 45°, wave 3 = 90°, ...)

Concerning old patches: Is there no version control possible with fxp files?

Chris-S wrote:Hi Chris,
I could also live with staggering the initial phases in free mode. :)
(wave 1 = 0°, wave 2 = 45°, wave 3 = 90°, ...)

Concerning old patches: Is there no version control possible with fxp files?
It would be very difficult in SE and require some left-field thinking.
And not possible in a Synth with established preset layout - adding a 'preset version id' would require adding more data into the preset which breaks backward compatibility.

Return to “CK Modules & VST”