What are Synthesizers mainly made out of?

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know they mainly have Wood, some sort of metal, but what else? I'm trying to make my own and I can't figure out what materials are used.

My DIY Synth is going to be modern, with some wood, probably on the sides, or little strips of it.

What should the majority of it be made of? (Like the parts that on synths you can buy that have letters printed on them),
Isn't it plastic, or something? How would I go about making a custom plastic case/shell, if so? I'll probably have mostly plastic, I don't really know yet.

Anyone willing to help collaborate and help me figure out a good design with materials would be greatly appreciated!

Lots of plastic these days. :?

Fantasies and broken bank accounts.

BBFG# wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:11 pm Fantasies and broken bank accounts.
:lol:

Yeh try dem wooden resistors :hihi:

Especially a wooden ADC gives you a true analog sound

My favorite synth was banana skins.... lovely glides

maybe try some electronics...
wooden synth might just sound a bit too wooden

techno dust
dedication to flying

sugar and spice and all things nice
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Lol. Ok, thanks everyone! : D.

If you are talking about the cabinet... custom tooled injection molds for plastic parts, extruded aluminum and various forms of sheet metal are common. These aren't parts you will find "off-the-shelf". The molds we use for Nektar keyboards cost >$100k to tool.

Find out if there is a local maker space nearby. They may have a CNC machine and/or a 3D printer which can be used to make the custom parts you need. I understand that laser cut bamboo is pretty easy to work with and is rigid enough to stand up to heavy use. Or you could try using acrylic.

leave enough room for the ocelots ...

There is the modular hardware synth direction you can go it. Lots of DIY kits and will add up to quite a lot.

I believe all the synths big corps make are all plastic for the cheaper ones and a mix of some metal and lots of plastic for the higher end ones. I have. JDXI and it's all plastic. The JDXA is three times as much and is more sturdy and has some metal parts . The internals are probably cheap circuit boards from South East Asia.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Most classic keyboards followed a tradition of mostly wood - well almost wood.
A flat bed plate of particle board or plywood. Not much different from self assembly furniture material. A sheet of aluminium foil was often stuck on the inner top-side to screen the electronics from noise coming from below.

The wooden end cheeks attached at the ends of the base plate. They can be a nice solid timber, or laminated particle board.

Another decorative strip across the front of the bed plate to close the gap to the front edge of keys.

Control panels can go to left and/or right of the keyboard to the same depth as the keys and same height as the white key tops - or all the controls on a sloping metal top or a sloping back back facia immediately above the keys to a laminated particle board top.

The rear can be metal or particle board with cutouts for connector panels.

Panel metal often is steel (painted with silk-screen printed legending). Decent manufacturers hinged the top panels and keyboard chassis to make it easier to service and made sure the wiring did not interfere with that. Some of them only need a few screws taking it out and it all hinges open. You can use aluminium, but unless it's closer to 3mm thick, it's too soft for large panel areas that have to support themselves.

If you want to go plastic, you can find ABS stock material (flat sheet as well as sections). This is sometimes used when a full size prototype is needed. They probably design the parts in a CAD program and get them laser cut these days. Unless you intend to go into production with a fully developed moulded solution, I don't see any reason not to follow the traditional particle board/metal construction.

Desktop module synths often don't have their own keyboards, but some do follow the traditional keyboard style so they still look like synths.

justin3am wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:19 pm If you are talking about the cabinet... custom tooled injection molds for plastic parts, extruded aluminum and various forms of sheet metal are common. These aren't parts you will find "off-the-shelf". The molds we use for Nektar keyboards cost >$100k to tool.
Sorry for offtopic, but... what is your job at Nektar Tech, if you want to share, of course.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”