DIY help

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! I'm trying to make my own MIDI Keyboard, of sorts.

Are there any places where I can get just the basic parts of a MIDI keyboard
(Keyboard, Pre-wired, knobs, pads, etc? / Parts that I can just plug right into a breadboard, for example))

I'm new to making DIY synths, FYI.

I'm trying to take a Keyboard and add in a very tiny PC into it so I can carry around a keyboard that has Ableton Live right in it.

I want a MIDI port on the Keyboard, so I can plug it into my home computer, and use it as a MIDI Keyboard.

I'm guessing there would be a MIDI port that connects to the built-in pc, and then maybe there'd be a switch that switches between 2 different midi ports, one that controls the built-in computer, and one that has the midi out that can connect to my home computer.

I hope this makes sense.

I just want the parts, I want to make my own case/cabinet. preferably I would like to be able to buy certain panels for things like pads, and knobs, sliders, etc. That I can easily wire/connect to the keyboard.

Again, sorry if im not making sense, I don't know what the exact terms are.

To sum it up, I'm trying to find a Pre-wired midi Keyboard, without the casing, essentially. I just want a keyboard that is already wired up, with some ability to add on things like knobs and touchpads.

I'm fine with wiring them up, as long as it's easy.
Last edited by Fox_GAMING_NTF on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The internal pc/storage might be the hardest part.
Default starting point...
https://www.google.com/search?q=midi+co ... e&ie=UTF-8
Sorry, they (of course) add some ads that make little/no sense
:evil:

Thanks! Yeah, it's a wacky idea, but, as far as I know, no one's ever done it before.

Are there any pre-built ones, just without the case?

(Keyboard, Pre-wired, knobs, pads, etc? / Parts that I can just plug right into a breadboard, for example))

Doepfer. Even do digital boards for the MIDI side of things.

http://www.doepfer.de/zubeh_e.htm#Keybeds
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Fatar sells keybeds and joysticks.
I've been looking to do something similar in making my own controller.
(Double manual C1-E6 semi-weighted.)

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Doepfer doesn't seem to have any 44-key keybeds, or any Pre-wired things, either.

BBFG# wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:04 pm Fatar sells keybeds and joysticks.
I've been looking to do something similar in making my own controller.
(Double manual C1-E6 semi-weighted.)
Could you please find a link? I went to the site but it doesn't seem like I could find anything.

I think you may find it easier to buy a complete MIDI controller, disassemble it and put the parts in your own custom case. I don't think you will find many options (if any) in terms of pre-fab MIDI controller components. I have seen some Modular MIDI controllers but I'm afraid I don't have any links. I'm not sure if those products are still sold.
If you are seeking a challenging project, you have found one. I would honestly recommend starting with smaller projects and then work your way up to a custom MIDI controller. In the DIY section of KVR, you will find posts from a number of folks who have attempted similar projects with varying degrees of success.

justin3am wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:51 pm I think you may find it easier to buy a complete MIDI controller, disassemble it and put the parts in your own custom case. I don't think you will find many options (if any) in terms of pre-fab MIDI controller components. I have seen some Modular MIDI controllers but I'm afraid I don't have any links. I'm not sure if those products are still sold.
If you are seeking a challenging project, you have found one. I would honestly recommend starting with smaller projects and then work your way up to a custom MIDI controller. In the DIY section of KVR, you will find posts from a number of folks who have attempted similar projects with varying degrees of success.
Ok, thanks! I was originally thinking of finding a MIDI Keyboard and taking it apart, but I was worried that it might not be compatible with other MIDI Controllers' parts. My other concern was that I didn't want one that needs drivers, but at this point, I don't really mind.

I want, specifically:

44-key Keyboard

8 touchpads

2 sliders

2 wheels

4 knobs

I don't know how many buttons, but several.

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote:Pre-wired
What do you exactly mean by that?
Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:53 pm I want, specifically:

44-key Keyboard
That's the exact halve of a full piano spanning 7 octaves plus 3. I'm fairly sure that does not exist. They are usually sized multiples of 12 (full octave) plus one.

So you can pick from 25, 37, 49, 61, 73 or... not 85 but 88. There are some odd 32-key controllers, but none with 44 keys.

May I ask, what does "NTF" stand for?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:16 pm

Doepfer doesn't seem to have any 44-key keybeds, or any Pre-wired things, either.
Nobody has 44-key keybeds. And nobody does the kind of prewired that you seem to be talking about; components for DIY arent prewired because no two people looking for a DIY solution are looking for the same thing in the first place. Prewired is for finished things, not parts, the difference is kind of intrinsic.
What Doepfer do do is the controller hardware and the logic boards. The wiring required is literally that; the wires between the hardware and ready-to-go controller. You wont get more prewired as parts than that.

BertKoor wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:54 am
Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote:Pre-wired
What do you exactly mean by that?
Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:53 pm I want, specifically:

44-key Keyboard
That's the exact halve of a full piano spanning 7 octaves plus 3. I'm fairly sure that does not exist. They are usually sized multiples of 12 (full octave) plus one.

So you can pick from 25, 37, 49, 61, 73 or... not 85 but 88. There are some odd 32-key controllers, but none with 44 keys.

May I ask, what does "NTF" stand for?
Ah, thanks, I guess I got 44 and 49 mixed up : /

And, oof, I don't remember what it stands for.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:36 am

Nobody has 44-key keybeds. And nobody does the kind of prewired that you seem to be talking about; components for DIY arent prewired because no two people looking for a DIY solution are looking for the same thing in the first place. Prewired is for finished things, not parts, the difference is kind of intrinsic.
What Doepfer do do is the controller hardware and the logic boards. The wiring required is literally that; the wires between the hardware and ready-to-go controller. You wont get more prewired as parts than that.
Ok, thanks. Do you have any links for a 49-key Keyboard like that?

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:54 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:36 am

Ok, thanks. Do you have any links for a 49-key Keyboard like that?
Like I already said, Doepfer. They do a 49-note keybed, and 'no programming needed' controllers that can be connected to them.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”