DIY Desktop MIDI controller.... I want to make one and have no knowledge of circuits

...and how to do so...
pinbot
KVRist
170 posts since 31 Dec, 2005

Post Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:20 am

I want to build a nice MIDI controller with all the usual stuff. Should I invest in an Arduino, or a Raspberry Pi? I want as much features as I can. I also want to make sure it's solderless if that's possible. I don't know how much it'll cost, but it'd be fun to make one.

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
5093 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Re: DIY Desktop MIDI controller.... I want to make one and have no knowledge of circuits

Post Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:36 am

Probably not possible.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27232 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Re: DIY Desktop MIDI controller.... I want to make one and have no knowledge of circuits

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:04 am

Yeah, as Jace says, the no-soldering requirement is pretty prohibitive.

(Non-SMT) soldering is not hard, though.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-solder/
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

GaryG
KVRAF
5761 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 am

I'd start with a simple one, walk before you run and all that. I've found the Teensy microcontrollers great for this, inbuilt midi over usb etc. Not much soldering if you get a board with pins, just the pots etc. Build one with a few pots, a few buttons (always useful) then worry about displays, encoders etc. You know you'll have to do some coding too, right? :)
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

Forgotten
KVRian
1060 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 am

whyterabbyt wrote:(Non-SMT) soldering is not hard, though.
Even SMT soldering isn't too hard to pick up with some practice though. Pulling apart some dead piece of electronic equipment and desoldering and resoldering components is a good way to practice.

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27232 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 am

Forgotten wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 am
Even SMT soldering isn't too hard to pick up with some practice though. Pulling apart some dead piece of electronic equipment and desoldering and resoldering components is a good way to practice.
Yeah, a few people have assured me of that, but despite best intentions, Ive still not got around to trying it, unfortunately. Not sure Ive got the hand-eye to even place the parts, Im a clumsy bugger sometimes.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

Forgotten
KVRian
1060 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:26 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 am
Forgotten wrote:
Yeah, a few people have assured me of that, but despite best intentions, Ive still not got around to trying it, unfortunately. Not sure Ive got the hand-eye to even place the parts, Im a clumsy bugger sometimes.
The trick is to remember that you can solder one end at a time - put a small amount of solder on the pad, push the component against the pad with tweezers or something similar, melt the solder and apply a small amount of pressure to seat the component properly; soldering the other end is then easy.

Drachenkatze
KVRer
26 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:44 am

Forgotten wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:26 am
whyterabbyt wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 am
Forgotten wrote:
The trick is to remember that you can solder one end at a time - put a small amount of solder on the pad, push the component against the pad with tweezers or something similar, melt the solder and apply a small amount of pressure to seat the component properly; soldering the other end is then easy.
Also flux is your best friend when doing SMD work. Use thin solder (I use 0.5mm) and a relatively large tip (1.2mm chisel tip) and despite my shaky hands I'm able to solder down to 0402 without problems.

The trick is to use as little solder as possible and flux does magic.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”