KRK RP8 G2 modification

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I was planing to do a little modification to my speakers to be precise, inside of them. But I was first going to ask for some advise and help if this will make any difference to it.

What I'm, planning to do is put some Sonitus Pyramis 5 PRO instead of that cheap white spong that is in by default. Cut her and put on both sides inside speaker. Would that make any difference to sound and would components inside overheat because of it ?

It would not make a difference, and if, the sound would be worse...
The cheap and the expensive sponge make acoustically no difference. The cheap one might deteriorate maybe faster in the coming decades, but I would not bet on it. KRK designed and measured carefully for sure for exact what is in the box...
The Sonitus is meant to treat your room!

Ok, good to know, thats why I ask for help :)

but what about some other sponge ? I saw on this youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1akXMrOL3U

tehnician or assembler in adam Audio is putting some better sponge inside their speakers, so I was wondering if there is some better sponge than this white thin layer of sponge inside my KRKs.

Building speakers is a black art. These kind of videos are part of the marketing which support that view. They are made to convince you to prefer Adam speakers over another brand. KRK is doing the same research and I would not assume that the foam KRK is using is of bad quality.
If you are interested in designing speakers, you should start to build your own. There is a HiFi scene devoted to that. But don‘t expect to get a better sounding speaker than your KRKs (I prefer them over Adams, but thats a matter of taste (and of my wallet); - )
If you look at HiFi speakers and at professional studio speakers (and their prices), they look very different. Sound engineers are not as easily to fool as rich music lovers... Most studio speakers are active and I bet the electronics help more to tweak the sound than the sponge...

Thanks for the information and explanation.

I agree with you that electronics help more to tweak the sound than the sponge.
I also prefer KRKs over Adam. My KRKs are Gen 2 and have problem with that black gunk that Gen 1,2 and 3 have but 3 have with transparent gunk, Gen 1 na 2 have black ones. Plus that cheap caps name Yihcon and garbage, I replaced them with Nichicon caps, and before all that I clean all that black gunk and they are perfect now.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”