Electra Distortion Pedal Variant

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I built this with some variation on the caps/resistors; the caps were a bit out of spec (.15uf on the audio in), and for instance the 47k resistor became a 39k resistor, and the 680R became a 510R. The 2M2 resistor is as shown in the drawing. (i don't really know what i'm doing, but it seems as though, if a passive component is in the general ballpark of the drawing, it's usually 'ok')

Instead of a single transistor, it's got 2 'TO92-type' transistors in Darlington configuration.

The diodes are a schottky, paired with a germanium. These were wired into a pot, so the circuit can run anywhere from a) 'without diodes', to b) fully 'bleed off to ground through the diode pair'.

With no volume control, It turns out to be very loud from the input signal to the output signal, so there is also a volume pot. Next time I'm thinking of using a '1590a' with a single knob, and try to combine 'vol' and 'diodes' into one pot, and have the knob go from 'off' to 'full diodes'.

This pedal as it is; it's built into a 1590B enclosure. With the diode pot 'off', it sounds like a fairly smooth 'boost'. With the diodes fully engaged, it has a 'decent' fuzz. So, it's kind of like a 'boost/fuzz'.

This being my 3rd pedal, it's probably the most versatile, and 'good sounding'.

Built a fuzz the other day that's really gnarly... that one is 2 'bass fuzz' circuits in serial, and each of those has a darlington pair. Well, if nothing else, that one cuts through a mix... the 'Heavy Snow' fuzz.

In contrast, this new Electra variant will actually be a decent boost, and able to carry out 'subtle fuzz' duties.

Anyway, basic 'dirt' pedals seem like a good way to get started in pedal-building.

That sounds good. The Electra is a fantastic starting point for pedal design isn't it!? As I'm sure you've discovered, many of the Lovepedal efforts are minor variants.

I love simple pedals, where it’s the correct components that add the magic.

I’ve designed a pedal (called MoHiJoLo) which uses 2 similar circuits, in parallel with simple variable RC High/Low pass filters. They are linked to give a fixed Mid dip. I added a simple buffer before the filters to be able to drive the dual-bands. I also designed a more complex one using a OP27GPZ (my fave opamp) based boost/overdrive instead of the buffer and called it HiMoLoJo.

I’ve gone though lots of versions, using different components, from NOS transisters/diodes and carbon resisters to more modern one. Learning what each add, or take away, was very useful.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”