Sound proofing a door?

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I am right now wondering, how do i soundproof my door to bedroom. The thing is, my room is right next to the kitchen, and even if the door is closed, it's still possible to hear clearly, what people are doing in the kitchen.

The door, when closed, has a bit of a gap between door and the floor, like it's too small or something. Nothing big, about 0,5 cm or 0,18 inches. It has a tiny bit of space all around the door.

I don't really know if that's something to do with what i can hear on the other side but yeah.

What should i do?

Roll a towel up and place at bottom of door, then hang a thick blanket or two over the the door, top to floor, wider than the door.

Mebbe get some draftproofing to seal the gaps and hang curtains. Depends on the door itself. If its a really lightweight chances are it cant be completely soundproofed. A heavier door that fits properly is the ideal. :)

If it is a hollow core door, you could fill it with sand by drilling a couple holes at the top. You just have to make sure your hinges can handle the extra weight.

Don't forget to put soft rubber material along the frame where the door contacts it. This will reduce noise carried from door to frame (which will just transfer through the frame into the room. You may also want to drape a heavy rug over the doorway on both sides of the door (as noted by prior posters above).

Ultimately, though, you're not going to get away from the sounds without relocating further from the noise sources. The sounds are also traveling through the walls, flooring, and ceiling. Houses aren't even remotely designed with sound isolation in mind. Real isolation requires mechanical detachment, which you won't get anywhere in standard construction. This is the goal of building room-within-room studios.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hi

You could get a fire check door fitted - they are heavy doors intended to stop a fire for a certain period of time - but, by default of their weight offer a degree of sound proofing.

Even a lightweight door will lower external sound to some degree IF it is well fitted.

Strips of draught excluder, a layer of 4-6mm plywood sheeting, a internal draught strip and so on are cheap additions.

Just put your matress up against the door. Free solution right there...

As a solution for sound proofing and acoustic treatment I once added an inner layer of thin rock wool to the inside of the door. Just making it 2-3cm wider where possible. Was great. The acoustic insulation was great. Both inside and outside. I did have to put a light frame and hang it in hooks and I also dressed the panels in some cloth. Looked more like a plan than an accident.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”