Modifying PCR-300 controller

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI all,

got a question on modding my Edirol/Roland PCR300. Today, 3/4 of the keys stopped working. I took it apart to fix it (pencil-graphite trick) but no go.

I really like the controller and I was wondering if it is possible to take out the individual boards and parts and mount it all into a new box without the keyboard.

When I took it apart, I noticed that each part of the controller like pots, sliders and buttons have their own board and join together to the main board with ribbons.
The keyboard is connected with a big ribbon...

My question is, is it doable? Can I use everything BUT the keys, mount it into a box and have a compact key-less controller?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Probably but without a circuit diagram it's hard to say.

If you have it apart already then I'd try simply unplugging the keyboard ribbon and powering it up. If it works then great, just rehouse the boards. If not...? Just check you don't get a stream of random midi messages with the keyboard unplugged or similar, some circuits behave strangely with bits missing. :)

HI,
thanks for reply.
I opened it up a few times recently, trying to fix it with the "pencil trick", which worked on a few keys, but nearly half are dead.

However, the main problem with putting everything in a new box is that the controllers are mounted on big PC board and since they can't be separated, I am not sure I want to move things into an L-shaped box.
Will give it some thought...
cheers

Is there any pattern to the keys which are not working? Are they all grouped together or is it every 8th key or something like that?
There may be a bad diode in the switch matrix, resulting in the problem. If you have a multi-meter, you should be able to test the diodes on the keyscan PCB. I don't know if you have any soldering skills but replacing a surface mount diode isn't too difficult. However, depending on the design of the keybed, you may have to remove all of the keys to get at those parts.

It's weird, there are 30 keys and the first ~8 keys are out. Then the 2nd octave has 1/2 keys working and last octave all OK.

Change of plans :wink:

Looking at the gaping hole and crowded desk I thought, hey why not put a QWERTY keyboard in its place?
I use Ableton Live 9 and since the midi controller is working perfectly I'm going to make a dedicated keyboard for Ableton inside of the PCR body...I found one that fits "almost perfect", USB powered.

I tested if the midi controller works without the MIDI Keyboard and all worked.
Well, will see...kind of excited about the project/results. :)

cheers

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”