Room Treatment - Bass traps and Absorbers - Concerns about using Rockwool

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I have a small bedroom that needs treatment. I unfortunately don't have the luxury of having a dedicated room, at least for now (working on that asap), so I have to sleep where I make my music. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but the thought of about having Rockwool on all my corners and first reflection points, and inhaling fibers even in my sleep concerns me. I know a lot of health tests have been conducted, especially with 703 and Roxul, but I'm not using those due to availability.
I know any non-porous packaging, like a garbage bag for example, will have a detrimental effect on the absorption, reflecting unwanted frequencies. So unless there's something else I can use, I can't go that route.

Anyone has any experience on using rockwool on a bedroom or workaround to this issue? The other bass trap designs that would solve my issue only work at a narrow frequency band, like the helmholtz resonator or membrane-style traps.

Rockwool is different then fiberglass (703). The rockwool itself is not that bad but either way I would recommend covering it with some cloth material for looks as well. It is a bit of a pain to hang in your room unless you make or put it in some kind of frame.

Another possiblity is to use Thermo-Hemp (don't know if that's the "marketing name" in english, in germany it's called "Thermohanf")
It is bit more expensive than rockwool or fiberglass, but it is 100% 'bio'

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”