Need help with acoustics!

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you need to have the desk in that location you need to angle the desk as suggested, and treat the corner and one wall side heavily and then see how much the other side needs after putting its cursory baffle material up. Pull the desk away from the wall at as much as you can and move the speakers and operator sweet spot as far away from the corner as you can on the desk. The way they are now the backs of the speakers, which you're not listening to, are throwing muffled sound against the wall and you're hearing that bounced back and mixed with your intended front of speaker audio. Even closed speakers will cause this when so close to a bare wall, though obviously not as much as open ones.

Without getting into the minutae, the biggest acoustic problems to solve with a home studio in a normal room are that waves are bouncing off the nice clean surfaces and it's made worse by surfaces being parallel, which makes for standing waves. Even if you don't hear much of a 'boooiiinnngggggg" when you clap it still hurts your sound. If you sit right in your spot and clap once and it has an ugly overhang, that's what you need to solve. If it doesn't have too much of one then standing waves are less of the big problem, but they're rarely not in a room like that. Put a long, thin body pillow ($15 at Target if you're in the U.S.) in the corner. Put a rug on the floor. Put random diffusers all over the walls. Double two huge beach blankets together and hang overhead a few inches down from the ceiling.

thenoisesmith wrote: 1. Placement
,,, Ideally you can use the thirds rule for basic placement and fine tune from there: Your listening position (your head) needs to be at a third of the length of your room. Please do not put your desk at the center. Not a cent spent and a massive difference, trust me.
This is a great suggestion and one I think a lot of people miss. When I recently moved my studio to a new apartment, I placed the desk (and therefore the speakers) two and half feet away from the shortest wall. This also places the speakers almost 6 feet from the nearest corners. What I've found is I'm not getting any bass build-up in the right hand corner, and the build-up in the left corner is probably caused by the 6-foot studio rack on the left side of the desk that is blocking reflections in that corner.

In my previous studio setup, and had a large (15 foot by 25 foot) family room all to myself and used the rule of thirds to place the desk. It made a huge difference in the acoustics of the room and I spent almost nothing on acoustic treatment because I just didn't need it.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”