Implementation of rotary encoders

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I bought some rotary encoders with 24 pulses per turn (got them to work) and realised, that 24 pulses can in no way reflect the typical behavior of a poti, which can send all 128 MIDI-CC-values in one turn. Encoders with 100 or more pulses on the other hand cost a fortune. How did for example Clavia implement their encoders in the Nord Lead 3? Do they measure the rotational speed to accelerate the increase of the CC-values?

Has anyone of you ever used encoders for MIDI controllers?

I can find Bourne 128ppr encoders for around $8 for one on Digikey, going to $3 in quantities of 1000. So maybe not as expensive as you think.

http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail ... ND/3780126
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I've seen these before. And to be honest, until now I didn't know the required resistor network is available as a single part. So I thought, this would be way too much effort if I wanted to use more than just one encoder. And this is literally the only affordable encoder with my requirements (more than 100 ppr, ready to use with a knob). The next, one can buy in quantities of one, already costs more than 20€.

Given, that these even keep a "memory" about their current position makes them perfect! Thanks for making me have a deeper look into the data sheet. :)

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”