Design a scenographic sequence of lights using Arduino+MIDI

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For a scene, lights and mechanisms controlled by relays, a my friend use Arduino.
For programming commands, in an approximate synchronism with soundtrack, I suggest him to using a DAW software and the MIDI protocol.
A Light evanescence may be managed by a CC controller (0-127).

For the side of Arduino software it seems easy thanks many projects on GitHub.

I'm thinking about to prepare a midi file (scene1.mid) to save on Arduino's SDcard.

1st problem:
Is there a DAW that let draw "Envelop" of CC in vectorial mode (draw a line by two points), but it produces midi events correctly during the "Export to MIDI" function?

Thanks

Many DAWs will let you do this. One fairly easy one is Tracktion; Tracktion 5 is free.

All you'd need to do is create a MIDI clip on a Track, then use the MIDI Line Tool to draw out whichever CC it is that you want to generate. (The lines are drawn stepped, btw, as it would be for real MIDI data).
You can then render that out as a MIDI file.

It'll be a relatively process similar in anything else.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

@whyterabbyt : thanks for replay.
On Tracktion 5 Free, I just find Export to ... Render as MIDI.
I can see one CC per track, raw edit is not like vectorial editing but it works.
Automation curves are enabled for Volume and Pan but they aren't renderd to midi file.

vespadj wrote:@whyterabbyt : thanks for replay.
On Tracktion 5 Free, I just find Export to ... Render as MIDI.
Yeah, that would be right. Is that not what you want, a MIDI file?
I can see one CC per track, raw edit is not like vectorial editing but it works.
You can only draw/edit one CC at a time, but you can edit any of them in a clip. Bear in mind that the top grid is for notes, its the one below that you use for CCs.

By default though, its probably set for editing Velocity. Click on the 'CONTROL' button in the clip controls, and MIDI volume (CC7) is the default CC you'll be able to edit. To change that to a different MIDI CC, click on Type, then select Control Changes, and that'll let you select one of the standard MIDI parameters.

The Line Tool should let you draw lines point-to-point.
Automation curves are enabled for Volume and Pan but they aren't renderd to midi file.
Automation data isnt MIDI data, you can ignore that for what you're doing.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”