Steinberg E-Licencer Key

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm wondering if anyone her has re-casted or reinforced the plastic casing yet for the Steinberg Key.

I just put mine on the end of a USB extension cable and placed it in a small box with a hole cut out for the cord.

I don't like plugging it directly into my PC because it'd be so much easier to damage it that way by knocking into it.
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:I just put mine on the end of a USB extension cable and placed it in a small box with a hole cut out for the cord.

I don't like plugging it directly into my PC because it'd be so much easier to damage it that way by knocking into it.
that suggestion sounds familiar
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:I just put mine on the end of a USB extension cable and placed it in a small box with a hole cut out for the cord.

I got the idea here on KVR. I'm afraid I don't remember who it was that posted it. :(
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:
Hink wrote:

I got the idea here on KVR. I'm afraid I don't remember who it was that posted it. :(

I remember in one thread about dongle hating one poster mentioned that his fear was being at a show and having a dongle stolen. I mentioned that such a problem was on him and not the dongles fault (which did not go over well :hihi: ) and such a system could be devised to secure ones dongles and as I recall you really liked the idea. At that time I was still using three dongles and I said many times in such threads I had them on the end of usb extension cords and I had them taped to the leg of my desk where they were safe. It really doesn't matter if you remember where you heard it, but it does my aging heart well to know someone took my advice :hug: :)

BTW Samp gave us a choice between the codemeter or serial, I had one codemeter for samp, one for YT Independence and an ilok for antares. Magix bought out YT, I chose the serial number and stopped using antares years ago so my dongles are all secured in my software lock box ;)

Have a great day Shawnee :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:I remember in one thread about dongle hating one poster mentioned that his fear was being at a show and having a dongle stolen. I mentioned that such a problem was on him and not the dongles fault (which did not go over well :hihi: ) and such a system could be devised to secure ones dongles and as I recall you really liked the idea. At that time I was still using three dongles and I said many times in such threads I had them on the end of usb extension cords and I had them taped to the leg of my desk where they were safe. It really doesn't matter if you remember where you heard it, but it does my aging heart well to know someone took my advice :hug: :)

BTW Samp gave us a choice between the codemeter or serial, I had one codemeter for samp, one for YT Independence and an ilok for antares. Magix bought out YT, I chose the serial number and stopped using antares years ago so my dongles are all secured in my software lock box ;)

Have a great day Shawnee :)
I seem to remember that thread, and I'm very happy to know that this piece of advice came from you, John. :)

I took it to heart, and I thought it was an excellent idea, as it truly does protect it the best you can. Nothing will ever be 100% secure, but this is an elegant solution. :)

Thank you, if I never did in the past. :)
Blue Phase Music

I have all my key (and all my hardware synth) plugged on this hub and i never have a single problem.

I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas to reinforce the Steinberg Key. I have three of them (all from different purchases). All three have arrived to me with the plastic cracked at the base. It just seems so brittle to me.

You could always wrap it in gobs of electrical tape. I say electrical tape because it's easy to remove, if necessary, and its rubbery, so it will provide a measure of impact-resistance.

Or, if you really wanted to solidify it, you could encase it in silicone rubber from Smooth-On, but that seems pretty extreme.

Neither of those will protect it from shear forces, though, if you have it plugged in directly, which is why I think Hink's extension cord idea is such a good one. :)
Blue Phase Music

Another option, along with the extension cord, is to encase it in one of these with a small hole cut in the side for the cord:

http://www.rtdvapor.com/the-cell-box/
Blue Phase Music

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”