New Custom Music Desk

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Extremely impressive.

I personally like the original Blue design. My entire studio is that same blue color: walls, shelves, footstool, all blue. Very calming and inspiring, if you're into that kind of psychological enhancement stuff.

Well done.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Thank you! :)

Kinda diggin' this:
MusicDesk160720-6.jpg
MusicDesk160720-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Phase Music

I'm trying to go by the laminate samples I have. The laminate is available in 4'x8' sheets. Not sure of the cost yet, but it's available locally.

One thing Mark was interested in seeing was a black work surface and aluminum sides, but I don't think that would look great with exposed wood edges.

He hates the exposed edges. :?
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:One thing Mark was interested in seeing was a black work surface and aluminum sides, but I don't think that would look great with exposed wood edges.
Sort of like a Jupiter 6 turned into a desk. :)

He hates the exposed edges. :?
Stain them?

They'll be varnished, but only to enhance the natural Birch coloring and to protect them.

I'll render something a little later to see how it would look with aluminum or steel laminate on the sides.

Another possibility is a marble finish for the work surfaces, and another color for the sides.

Or, just black for the desktop and shelves and varnished or oiled Birch for all other surfaces. I just kinda liked the idea of using colored laminate as accents. It's all just cosmetic, but I want to enjoy working at this desk. :)
Blue Phase Music

Uncle E wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:One thing Mark was interested in seeing was a black work surface and aluminum sides, but I don't think that would look great with exposed wood edges.
Sort of like a Jupiter 6 turned into a desk. :)

Hmmm...I could use actual aluminum sheet for the sides. :hihi:
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:Another possibility is a marble finish for the work surfaces, and another color for the sides.
For the work surface, do something that won't show scratches. My black top Argosy looks pretty bad now after years of use.
Hmmm...I could use actual aluminum sheet for the sides.

LOL. :tu:

Any laminate is going to look pretty bad in a few years. My current "desk" is a laminated 2x4 shelf, and where my mouse is is really worn after just a year or so.
Blue Phase Music

Maybe that's why I love old solid wood furniture like old workbenches and school desks, its already worn through years of use, instant character.

Oh, I love old furniture, as well, especially Gothic, though I have a wide variety of tastes.

I just don't have the money to build out of solid wood, even if it would ultimately be amazing if I could.
Blue Phase Music

Uncle E wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:Another possibility is a marble finish for the work surfaces, and another color for the sides.
For the work surface, do something that won't show scratches. My black top Argosy looks pretty bad now after years of use.
this is where I got the metal grate for my boogie and jet city, I'm quite sure they have similar to this too ;)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#expanded-metal-grating/=ec4pk0
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
this is where I got the metal grate for my boogie and jet city, I'm quite sure they have similar to this too ;)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#expanded-metal-grating/=ec4pk0
Parts of our machinery are from McMaster! :tu:
Blue Phase Music

They have Diamond Plate right here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#diamond-plates/=13depn9

:)
Blue Phase Music

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”