New Custom Music Desk

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It looks great, personally I would go with black or woodgrain.
Only because I'm not super into blue stuff...

-Cheers

Blue Phase Music wrote:Just curious what people think of the color scheme.

Thanks!
Looks fantastic! I agree with peekaboo that the blue is a bit much for me (and it's my favorite color). Though it might work if your walls are painted bold colors, though. Anyway, I'd change all the blue panels to black.

Thank you! :)

I did a really quick render. Not sure I could handle this. I prefer a little color.

Does anyone have a problem with the exposed edges? It's 13-ply, meant to be seen. ;)
MusicDesk160719-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Phase Music

I think a darker blue would be better than black sides (for me...there was a time in my life that everything was black, but I've discovered color since my twenties. :hihi: ).
MusicDesk160720-1.jpg
I'd go with a dark reddish wood like Burle, but I don't think that would look good with the end grain of the birch plywood, and I want those to be exposed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:I'd go with a dark reddish wood like Burle, but I don't think that would look good with the end grain of the birch plywood, and I want those to be exposed.
A deep brown mahogany would make it look like a clear top Les Paul. :)

Uncle E wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:I'd go with a dark reddish wood like Burle, but I don't think that would look good with the end grain of the birch plywood, and I want those to be exposed.
A deep brown mahogany would make it look like a clear top Les Paul. :)
Maybe it won't look so bad. I'll check it out next.
Blue Phase Music

I'm not convinced:
MusicDesk160720-4.jpg
Last edited by Vintage73 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Phase Music

Agreed, too much going on. The blue looks like school furniture and the black/charcoal looks common. How about Auralex colors like burgundy or purple?

Just make it match your equipment :P

Overall, quite impressive :clap:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Personally, I like the original blue design... :)

Reminds me of the language labs we had at school, all that exposed plywood, love it for some reason. I don't like the mahogany render, something about the clash between the exposed edges and the grain of the mahogany, cognitive dissonance or something. :)

Just occurred to me, is that Tardis blue? ;)

You're controller seems to be at the proper height, but it forces your qwerty, mouse etc to a very un-ergonomic position :scared:

how much of the color will be seen when it's in place with gear and such? About the exposed wood, that all depends on the room it's in, your house and the wood you are using. If you're using pine or some other real wood I might want to treat the exposed wood to prevent exposure to moisture. I liked the wood grain look but I can see it being too dark, personally I like the "campy" woodsman look in a room with knotty pine walls and such. (but not that cheap paneling) If you're going with traditional woods there are plenty of other colored stains you could go with and also some nice wood stains, you could go with a blue wood stain that is lighter in general but darker along the grain...that could look very mellow like in the pic but have a feeling of popping as well.

If you go with particle board painting is the best option and you probably dont have as much to worry about with treating the exposed edges, but keep in mind sharp edges tend to break or dent easier. I personally do not care for the lighter blue either, looks too much like a baby boy's nursery but it's not me that has to look at it.

Soon as you know I will finally own a house and a space to make my own, I think I would like to do my walls in a dark burgundy as well in my studio or at least the sound treatment because like Eric says Auralex has that color and it looks pretty nice but I have to wait and see the room first...I like a darker room for my music, somehow I find it more apt to turn my inspiration switch on.

No matter what you choose for color it looks great, my desk has a long drawer and it's awesome because I can fit a 49 key controller in there with my mouse and storage for mics behind it (my qwerty keyboard can slide along my Roland A-33 controller without hitting any buttons which I like a lot)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

How about built-in LED strip lighting in the appropriate places? You can change the color to suit your mood. As I envision this, it would mean a slight modification of your plans. But better now than later, eh?

(And I myself think a very dark blue would go well with both the black and the exposed edges)
바보

Hink wrote:how much of the color will be seen when it's in place with gear and such? About the exposed wood, that all depends on the room it's in, your house and the wood you are using. If you're using pine or some other real wood I might want to treat the exposed wood to prevent exposure to moisture. I liked the wood grain look but I can see it being too dark, personally I like the "campy" woodsman look in a room with knotty pine walls and such. (but not that cheap paneling) If you're going with traditional woods there are plenty of other colored stains you could go with and also some nice wood stains, you could go with a blue wood stain that is lighter in general but darker along the grain...that could look very mellow like in the pic but have a feeling of popping as well.

If you go with particle board painting is the best option and you probably dont have as much to worry about with treating the exposed edges, but keep in mind sharp edges tend to break or dent easier. I personally do not care for the lighter blue either, looks too much like a baby boy's nursery but it's not me that has to look at it.

Soon as you know I will finally own a house and a space to make my own, I think I would like to do my walls in a dark burgundy as well in my studio or at least the sound treatment because like Eric says Auralex has that color and it looks pretty nice but I have to wait and see the room first...I like a darker room for my music, somehow I find it more apt to turn my inspiration switch on.

No matter what you choose for color it looks great, my desk has a long drawer and it's awesome because I can fit a 49 key controller in there with my mouse and storage for mics behind it (my qwerty keyboard can slide along my Roland A-33 controller without hitting any buttons which I like a lot)
It will be made from 13-ply Baltic Birch, which is meant to have exposed edges, as in the image:
MusicDesk160720-5.jpg
:)

Trying a dark blue wood grain right now...
Blue Phase Music

bftucker wrote:How about built-in LED strip lighting in the appropriate places? You can change the color to suit your mood. As I envision this, it would mean a slight modification of your plans. But better now than later, eh?

(And I myself think a very dark blue would go well with both the black and the exposed edges)
Kinda like they did in '60s camp TV? :D

But it is a good idea. I'll consider it. :)
Blue Phase Music

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”