Wots the easy/cheap plastic to use with a putty moulding please ?

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I'm gonna try and make a spare part using a putty molding

Wots the best& easy & cheap plastic I can use to pop into th e molding to make a reproduction of my original item please.

Thanx in advance,
RM

ranger3 wrote:Hi

Wots the best& easy & cheap plastic I can use to pop into th e molding to make a reproduction of my original item please.

Thanx in advance,
RM
i wouldnt spec plastic for making a spare on cost, i'd spec it on the qualities of the material. nae point trying to use using silicon rubber for a gear, or cast resin for a flexible housing, get my drift? :shrug:

in other words; neads moar info.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hi,

I've got a plastic synth (wheel)part I want to reproduce.
I thought of using the putty to,making a casting of the original .
But I'm not sure wot material plastic wise, to use to make the reproduction .

Thanx.

You could use epoxy resin,
it's expensive and bad to breath the fumes from it though.
Araldite is a common brand here.
It's a two part, that starts setting when you mix the parts.

You might want to look at Polymorph... its a similar plastic to that used in 3D printers, and can be melted in hot water. Fairly solid when cool.

Can be a bit tricky to work with, since it has to be handled hot, but its got more 'give' than something like resin, so maybe not as brittle.

I would say, though, that whatever youre using, getting fine detail/hard edges is going to be difficult; without a fair bit of pressure (eg injection moulding) you're talking about a liquid that's only 'flowing' into place, not being forced into it, then hardening.

It might be worth having a search on instructables.com for instructional projects people have done of a similar nature (not the part, but the process)

Yeah, I think it's going to be hard to do it well.
I cast in resin years ago, but it was an easy shape(elliptical section)
If you'd like to pay for the part to be 3d printed, I might be able to draw it for u

interesting about that material polymorph W.R.--
but I disagree about resin necessarily being brittle--
West Systems glue is reasonably tough(and harder than Araldite I think), but like I say the fumes make u giddy

nix808 wrote:but I disagree about resin necessarily being brittle--
sorry, wasn't trying to say resin was brittle, more that polymorph is more, erm, not brittle. erm. if you see what I mean. Its more on the PVC end of the scale than the acrylic end.

nix808 wrote:Araldite is a common brand here.
I'm intrigued; Araldite over here is a two part resin that I've never thought anybody would 'cast' with, way too sticky and glue-like. Or is my ignorance really shining through? :)

GaryG wrote:
nix808 wrote:Araldite is a common brand here.
I'm intrigued; Araldite over here is a two part resin that I've never thought anybody would 'cast' with, way too sticky and glue-like. Or is my ignorance really shining through? :)
Im used to araldite being an adhesive, but there seems to be a casting resin in the range...

http://www.resins-online.com/ecommerce/ ... b=Araldite

Ah, and only £40 a kg... :) I guess this is the stuff you'd use to pot guitar pickups and stuff?

ranger3 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 pm Hi

Thanx in advance,
RM
Hi, you should choose the one that works best with your product specifications, e.g. Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), Polyethylene, Polycarbonate (PC), Nylon, High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS), Polypropylene (PP) and many more

ian.curtis wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:41 pm
ranger3 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 pm Hi

Thanx in advance,
RM
Hi, you should choose the one that works best with your product specifications, e.g. Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), Polyethylene, Polycarbonate (PC), Nylon, High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS), Polypropylene (PP) and many more
and given that his question was 'which one will work best', how does that help, 6 years after the fact?

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”