Final word about plugs - long version

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We're all dealing with plugs and connectors, all the time.
Let's face it, ugly troublemakers, nothing to brag about, not sexy, meh. :roll:

If you can live with that, more power to you !

If not, here is the solution, Neutrik plugs.
The best I've seen anywhere, been using them since the 80s, pure quality, and relatively affordable too.
With the acquisition of ReAn they now also cover the mid-range market, at low-range prices.

Here's a short rundown of the most common variety, 1/4".

NP-2X : the classic, replacing the equally fine NP2C
Indestructible, will survive extreme heat abuse while soldering, can be reused as often as you want, even my oldest '80s NP2Cs are still going strong on their x-teenth cable
The main difference to lesser plugs is the cable clamp (they call it "chuck") - reusable, no tiny screws to lose, adapt perfectly to any cable diameter (within reason)
Check out this graphic, it applies to all Neutrik 1/4" and XLR connectors.
Do not break off that small piece of plastic with thinner cables !

NP-3X : the stereo version

NP-2RX / NP-3RX : right-angle versions of the above

And now the only plugs to use on the guitar side of your guitar cable :
NP2X-AU-SILENT
NP2RX-AU-SILENT
These babies feature a hi-tech switch based on a reed relay that shortens the plug - voila, no noise anymore when unplugging. :love:
There are others, again, the Neutriks work best imho and are virtually indestructible.
Hermetically sealed and magnetically operated switch
No wear, constant contact resistance
No corrosion or pollution of switch, durable and long-lasting
Lifetime beyond 10'000 mating cycles
I'll spare you the details on the female versions, big plus :
They offer a lock similar to XLRs, completely secure even on stage

Neutrik do all the other common audio connectors too, not only the famous XLRs, even down to RCA, 3.5 mm headphone plugs, TT and so on, equally impressive quality.

--------------------------------------
For less critical, permanently connected cables (e.g. rack- or studio cabling, pedalboards) the cheap'n'basic ReAn plugs are ideal, same build quality as the real Neutriks but with a conventional cable clamp.
NYS 207 (79 ct here in Europe :love: )
NYS 208 stereo
Straight versions :
NYS 201, NYS 202

All these plugs, as well as their many internal / circuit board connectors feature exact contact dimensions according to the norm, you'd be surprised how many of the competitors don't. :bang:

Please don't file this under spam, I'm not affiliated with Neutrik in any way, it's just that I haven't seen many comparable products in over 25 years ... :tu:

Do yourself a favour and check these out, chances are you will be convinced.

Ymmv,
susiwong

They are amazing things..love 'em..
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Oh, let me add one more thing:
While gold contacts sure look cool there is no functional difference for our applications - unless you rehearse in a flooded submarine hangar. :P
They don't hurt either though. :shrug:
Ymmv,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:Oh, let me add one more thing:
While gold contacts sure look cool there is no functional difference for our applications - unless you rehearse in a flooded submarine hangar. :P
Ymmv,
susiwong
i was looking for replacement ADAT cables this week. did you know some companies sell them with gold-plated 'connectors'? dear god... :help:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

eeeek!!! :help: :shock:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

susiwong wrote:Oh, let me add one more thing:
Ymmv,
susiwong
Gold is actually a better conductor than many other metals (like stainless) but not as good as copper...however copper requires too much maintenance because it tarnishes so quick. However it really doesn't make that big of a difference as you say :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

susiwong wrote: And now the only plugs to use on the guitar side of your guitar cable :
NP2X-AU-SILENT
NP2RX-AU-SILENT
These babies feature a hi-tech switch based on a reed relay that shortens the plug - voila, no noise anymore when unplugging. :love:
didn't know about this, thanks !!!

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”