my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Holy shit wow @knockman
:)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

knockman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:28 pm
DesolationRow65 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:12 pm Monstrously awesome! :D
Thanks!

Here's another recent build:

it's a "Hougaku Conductor" (a Japanese music keyboard thing) triggered by a 16 step sequencer via a patchwire interface. The sequencer is unit uses 3 4017 ICs - 1 for clock divider and 2 for the steps

here's a video:
https://youtu.be/wHUvSyXlbXk
even aside from their use as tools, they look beautiful :love:

2nd attempt at this.. this time over digital audio
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Wow, that's a great idea! Lots of audio interfaces have S/PDIF I/O that goes unused. I wonder if you could use surround sound encoding to get 5 MIDI ports from a single cable. You would need a plug-in of some kind to encode the data but I assume you are already doing that to turn MIDI into audio. There is a Expert Sleepers interface that does decodes 5 channels of CV from a dedicated plug-in..

justin3am wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:43 am Wow, that's a great idea! Lots of audio interfaces have S/PDIF I/O that goes unused. I wonder if you could use surround sound encoding to get 5 MIDI ports from a single cable.
my SPDIF is only stereo, and so is the big SOIC chip there (the spdif interface)
thing is, a whole MIDI byte is encoded as amplitude into one audio sample, and there a bunch of more bits that are usable in this sample
at FS=44100Hz, the MIDI byte period is 14.112 audio samples, i only need one of them, so i could use the other 13 for another 13 MIDI output streams..
so 5 MIDI ports are easy, just the mcu will have to be changed to the bigger one that has more UARTs
You would need a plug-in of some kind to encode the data but I assume you are already doing that to turn MIDI into audio. There is a Expert Sleepers interface that does decodes 5 channels of CV from a dedicated plug-in..
yes, i already wrote something to see if it'll work, it works on my m-audio audiophile 2496
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrRtDacfxd0

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

a psu for my yocto

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:34 am Holy shit wow @knockman
:)
I was just going to say the same thing.

knockman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:28 pm
Here's another recent build:
Awesome work! Feels like some equipment from a retro sci fi movie.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

Nothing particularly exciting, but the first test of making up a set of purty braided cables. Ive been using the same grey 3.2mm unistrand for a decade but its, erm, grey.

so ive bought about 40m or so of 3mm cable braid (about half stripped from prewrapped phone extension cables because i originally thought i could maybe get away with using that 'as is' plus it seemed to come in better colour choices ) and threaded it sections of onto the unistrand. takes a while to thread, its a process of kinda scrunching up an inch at a time, then smoothing that down, but ive only got one 1m section of braid that didnt fit.

this test piece showed me that I need the entrance to the bottom of neutrik jack reamed out a little bit where Ive used clear heatshrink to seal up the end of the braid against fraying. its not perfect on this one, the heatshrink has been bunched up a bit because i didnt quite resize the jack quite enough, but it looks like its going to work out quite well.
braided_test.jpg
I need a crapload of long cables these days, so this will be them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Neutrik references with "L" are made for bigger cable diameter, afaik.
Regular 3.5mm Neutrik pugs do not allow bigger diameters (above 6mm).

sinkmusic wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:10 pm The Neutrik references with "L" are made for bigger cable diameter, afaik.
Regular 3.5mm Neutrik pugs do not allow bigger diameters (above 6mm).
Its 3.2mm cable + braid + heatshrink, comes to 5mm. But both the braid and the heatshrink are flexible; when its tight, they bunch up. Maybe you mean 4mm, that looks more like what Ive got.

However I have about 150 of them sat here, that I was able to get for about 30p each, so Im not going to fork out £1.50 a cable for more when I can make enough clearance in a few turns of a reamer.

ill give you "they look nice"
but im far too lazy to diy cables :hihi:
looking at how many i own already (euro or banana) i reckon id still be soldering instead of playing :lol:

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:37 pm ill give you "they look nice"
but im far too lazy to diy cables :hihi:
looking at how many i own already (euro or banana) i reckon id still be soldering instead of playing :lol:
Im pretty lazy about making them up, but since I can, I refuse to pay for premade ones.
And like I say, Ive got a 100m reel of cable at 30p/metre and at least a hundred solid metal jacks at 30p each, so any cables I make are fairly cheap.

When I first started building my studio, I made all of my own cables. I bought 2 100m spools of mogami 2549 cable and a ton of Neutrik connectors. I made a bunch of 7.5m mic cables and a few short 8-channel TRS snakes.
It didn't take me long to figure out that it wasn't worth my time. :lol:
I still have most of those cables but now I just buy the cheapest cables I can find that have connectors which can be disassembled.
Most of the 3.5mm cables I use for eurorack are less than $1 when I buy more than 10 at a time. Anytime I go to All Electronics, I just trow 10-20 in my basket.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”