DIY (do it yourself) forum request

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

speaking of mods, isnt it about time to look for a couple more "general mods", seems meffy and bluedad are the only ones active aside from company forum mods. maybe a couple of euros to cover time diffs :shrug:

and no, im not looking for the job. f**k that shit.

I like this idea, I've been thinking about starting to make some stuff, so yay!.

@vurt: Manytone is very active at slamming spammers. Without his work the place would be knee-deep in blue tins and pink glop. But another mod or two would be welcome, yes.

Good news!
..what goes around comes around..

DF2R wrote:I like this idea, I've been thinking about starting to make some stuff, so yay!.
Do it! Working on DIY projects is soooo rewarding. Whether it's something as simple as replacing a pick-guard on a guitar or as complex as writing custom firmware for a digital device, there is always this sense of pride. "I did this!" In our world of disposable technologies, it's so refreshing to see people building stuff when often times they could just buy something similar. Even when I completely screw up a project, I enjoy the process so much that I don't care if the result isn't a work of art.

This is something that is accessible to anyone with some imagination.

justin3am wrote:Wow... I'd be honored. Part of me thinks Hink would be a better fit, but I would definitely do the job, if asked.
For some reason I had it in my head that Hink would be being proposed by default since it was his suggestion/momentum...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

justin3am wrote:Do it! Working on DIY projects is soooo rewarding. Whether it's something as simple as replacing a pick-guard on a guitar or as complex as writing custom firmware for a digital device, there is always this sense of pride. "I did this!" In our world of disposable technologies, it's so refreshing to see people building stuff when often times they could just buy something similar. Even when I completely screw up a project, I enjoy the process so much that I don't care if the result isn't a work of art.

I shall! Need a soldering iron and some stuff, but I was thinking about starting with some kits, I've seen a few interesting looking ones online for devices that go beep. The idea of making my own weird sound devices and recording them really appeals to me.

Looks like it's too late to stop it now. :-o
Let the fun begin ... :D
Cheers,
susiwong

first I would be honored to do whatever I could do to help KvR (except leave :hihi: ) I do not think I have to say how much I appreciate everyone here and what KvR means to me.
DF2R wrote:
justin3am wrote:Do it! Working on DIY projects is soooo rewarding. Whether it's something as simple as replacing a pick-guard on a guitar or as complex as writing custom firmware for a digital device, there is always this sense of pride. "I did this!" In our world of disposable technologies, it's so refreshing to see people building stuff when often times they could just buy something similar. Even when I completely screw up a project, I enjoy the process so much that I don't care if the result isn't a work of art.

I shall! Need a soldering iron and some stuff, but I was thinking about starting with some kits, I've seen a few interesting looking ones online for devices that go beep. The idea of making my own weird sound devices and recording them really appeals to me.

if you're interested in guitar I found this Confidence Booster, a booster for a guitar at a beginner level for building.

About what justin said, I think that making something and then making music with it is the greatest feeling, I think for me it replaces some of the creative thinking that gets lost to critical thinking stemming from today's technology. (such as software learning curves) Instead of creative workarounds because of limited recording features and tracks there's always a way but often far more technical than back in the day. So building things myself whether it be a desk, a pedal, a guitar or a dulcimer 'personalizes' my experience much more. :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

susiwong wrote:Looks like it's too late to stop it now. :-o
Let the fun begin ... :D
Cheers,
susiwong
well you and me have talked about this recently and you did surely validate my belief that something like this would be a good thing. At the time my thought was go for a thread and perhaps hope for a forum and you did indeed suggest a forum as well :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:I think that making something and then making music with it is the greatest feeling... So building things myself whether it be a desk, a pedal, a guitar or a dulcimer 'personalizes' my experience much more. :tu:
I'm right with you there man. :)

Building something that facilitates more creativity is a really nice feeling.

Kriminal wrote:a useful thread to carry over...?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... uitbending
Definitely. It's the thread I thought of when the forum was proposed.

Hink wrote:if you're interested in guitar I found this Confidence Booster, a booster for a guitar at a beginner level for building.

About what justin said, I think that making something and then making music with it is the greatest feeling, I think for me it replaces some of the creative thinking that gets lost to critical thinking stemming from today's technology. (such as software learning curves) Instead of creative workarounds because of limited recording features and tracks there's always a way but often far more technical than back in the day. So building things myself whether it be a desk, a pedal, a guitar or a dulcimer 'personalizes' my experience much more. :tu:
Thanks for this. :) I'd love to make some gear to put my Strat (and other random stuff) through, that would be cool.

I agree, it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately, mostly in relation to my experiences as a Gen Xer and how it compares to today's society. I pretty much decided to embrace that part of me, cos I'm kinda over the current predominant ways of doing things, conceptually. If that makes sense. I already had the strong need to make everything my own as possible, that's why I taught myself to program all my synths and stuff I use, and this approach has paid off for me, even though it was less instantly gratifying in terms of quick actual results, now that time has been well spent and much more rewarding.

Kriminal wrote:a useful thread to carry over...?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... uitbending
yeah, I agree about a billion percent :tu:

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”